HybridZ

Exhaust Note

dj paul

hey guys ive searched around a little and could not find an answer i liked. On my 280ZX im trying to find an exhaust note i like. I cut out the cat because it was clogged and welded a test pipe (no VET test here anymore) I cut off that dumb pipe that for some reason curves around the back and the muffler and replaced it with a muffler that originally came with the 240Z that i bought. The 240z had headers and when i started it up it sounded awesome. The setup i have on the ZX sound pretty good but it is just a little too loud and it seems like its not smoothed out enough. Is something like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHERRY-BOMB-HIGH-PERFORMANCE-GLASS-PACK-MUFFLER-87507_W0QQitemZ120080045940QQihZ002QQcategoryZ33636QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

what i need to weld on where the cat used to be? think that would smooth things out? im eventually putting the headers that were on the 240Z because im storing that motor, a 280ZX turbo motor is going in the 240Z. Thanks in advance,

paul

What motor are you asking about? An L24 and an L28ET have completely different exhaust characteristics.

On the L28ET, use a 2.5" or 3" from the turbo all the way back. Leave it wide open and stick a straight-flow-thru-glasspack or muffler at the tail.

I have 2.5" all the way back with a 2.5" Magnaflow straight-thru muffler at the tail and a resonator exhaust tip. It has a mellow note inside the car. If you are using an L28 non-turbo, you will need another muffler about 4" past the header collector under the floor to mellow it out.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/8e0786c4-827b-40cc-9168-98c1013e2c45.htm

its just an L28 sorry for the confusion. i just think this muffler i have is a peice of junk. what muffler for under 50 do you all suggest? i know its kind of hard to judge the sounds that people like without actually hearing them. i cant hear your soundfile untill i get home because we dont have speakers on the comps here at school.

I have a 'glasspack' muffler in the tunnel of my 75 280z.. it sound's good to me, but I know it's actually hurting performance a little (lots of restriction) and it was a bit too long to stick behind the rear tire in the stock position, not to mention I didn't leave a cut out in the rear roll pan.. :icon56: It is a very raspy sound at WOT, or anything above 3K rpm.. A guy said once (after I drove past him at the top of 2nd, wide open) it sounded like a cross between a Ferrari and a sport bike.. :shock: Heh.. either way, it's a very diffrent sound than most cars around here.. L6's just naturaly sound cool IMO. I'd say for your budget, you might get a typical 'turbo' style muffler (like a flowmaster or magna flow knock off) if you shop around..

• 2 weeks later...

does anybody got any videos and/or sound clips of a stock L28 with a MSA exhaust system? i bought one to use just until i could finish my turbo motor and i havent been able to install it yet with all the work i still have left to do....i'm afraid it's going to sound like a honda!

Im using 2.5inch pipe into a short glasspack at the back. flows good and sounds cool IMO. idel it sounds kinda odd, almost like a small tractor. but at WOT it sounds like datsunlover said, its unique. it cant be mistaken for a 4banger or with a 8.