HybridZ

A new, affordable sports car?

alsil

I would also like to point out that you hypocritically ASSume that you are superior because seemingly your car can handle and accelerate. Likewise in a "rednecks" mind their car is just as superior because it can accelerate (more so) in a straight line. A truly enlightened person would appreciate that the persons have built their cars for what they enjoy. Just because you enjoy something someone else doesn't hardly makes you superior; and the fact that you think it does actually makes you somewhat inferior and ignorant (similar to your proverbial "redneck").

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't say it was cheap but, it was still AHELLUVA lot cheaper than the 300ZXtt.

Can you please explain where you see similarities between the Camaro and 240SX except for both being RWD???

The 240SX has WAY more in common with the Z32 and R32-33-34 skylines than the Camaro or Mustang. Same basic structure, brakes, suspension...

Hell, I thought that to qualify as a PONY car, you needed solid axle and V8!?!

P.S.: I'm not trying to pick up a fight here, just debating;-)

A muscle car is a big-body(heavy) car with a huge motor to push it. A pony car is a lighter car usually with a smaller motor. Not all mustangs and camaros came with V-8s, majority have a V6.

If only it wasnt ugly as sin. Always a catch isnt there? lol

LOL.

Can't say I like the angles on some of the body panels. But the big tires pushed all the way out to the corners looks sweet. Definitely an Audi influence.

The other catch is it being a Chrysler product. At least it has a German transmission.

Guest TeamNissan

I just think for a concept it should be a little more origonal lol. I mean the g35, 350z, cs430, TT, z3, Razor etc all have the same profile give or take, its terrable.

I think the ford reflex concept is looking nice, but we wont be seeing it anytime soon lol. ford.reflex.prf.500.jpg

...the layout of the 240sx (2+2) made it more of a sport coupe/pony car than a sportscar. Technicality, maybe perhaps I worded it wrong.

A muscle car is a big-body(heavy) car with a huge motor to push it. A pony car is a lighter car usually with a smaller motor. Not all mustangs and camaros came with V-8s, majority have a V6.

Thanks for the clarification guys, I had forgot all baout V6 Camaros and Mustangs. I'm not really into that type of car so, I don't know much about them.

I agree about the Miata but, by 1960's standards, it's still heavy considering its size. Forty years ago a car that size would have weighed 1400-1600 pounds. It's just not economically feasible today given all the safety standards.

The light-weight, stripped-down, moderate-hp elemental sports car is an excellent idea in theory, but doomed in practice…

1. The demographic that used to buy sporty-cars is now buying trucks and SUVs. “Sports cars†today mean high-end low-volume flagships or souped-up sedans

2. There is very little market in 2-door anything these days; if it’s a car at all, people want 4-doors; otherwise they get a truck (see above).

3. Polls about muscle cars - for example those in Hot Rod Magazine - consistently show that while low-buck high-performance strippers (cars, that is) are popular in theory, when asked specifically what they wish to buy, people overwhelmingly prefer air conditioning, heated power seats, keyless remote and sun roofs. So much for low cost and light weight.

4. The aforementioned safety and environmental regulations. Look at what happened to the Pontiac Solstice; cute little car, but 2900 lbs??? That is probably more than a Datsun 810 (forerunner of the Maxima) in the 1970’s.

5. There is something in the American market that overwhelmingly leans towards large cars. Maybe small cars are viewed as wacko-lefty Euro-boxes, or maybe it’s something about romanticizing the great open plains and the giant redwoods, or maybe its just compensation. But whatever it is, European-type compact cars are viewed in America as cheap, low-rent appliances for those too poor to afford anything better.

6. While today there are more car models than ever, there are surprisingly few dedicated platforms. It may cost a manufacturer more to strip-down an existing model than to keep selling it with its luxo features. And it is absolutely cost-prohibitive to launch an entire new platform just for a single line of low-cost sporty car.

7. The OEMs and the market have pretty much decided that RWD is a luxury feature. Worldwide, compact RWD cars are essentially universally dead, except for a few niche convertibles.

8. We - the performance enthusiasts - are a very small minority. And among us, many are too cash-strapped or too frugal to buy a new car with performance in mind; if we do buy a new car, it’s reliable transportation for the wife and kids, or a comfy long-distance cruiser with a smooth ride and a punchy stereo. So, again, who would buy the stripper sports-car?

The arguments are the same for related questions: in model lines with multiple engine options, why is a manual transmission only available with the wimpiest engine; why is the strongest engine often only available in an options bundle with the bling features and gadgets; why isn’t the JDM or European-domestic market model available in the U.S.; why do OEMs devote great effort towards making fuel-efficient engines and low-drag bodies, but do not place any emphasis on reducing vehicle curb weight; and so forth.

I've been wondering about some of Michael's points for awhile now. True stick shift trannies are slowly going the way of the buffalo. You can't even get a stick shift Aston Martin Vanquish, at the new car show here in Tampa it was looking like you couldn't get a Lexus in a stick at all on the new models (at least all the ones I looked at). You can tell me all you want that a paddle shift changes gears faster than a stick shift, but I really don't care. I'll opt for a real stick as long as I can find a car that's offered in one. I actually personally drove to three different Nissan dealers in three different cities to find my 02 Altima in the color I wanted in a stick shift (because the dealers were making it hard for me and wouldn't do a trade. They also told me it was now impossible to order a car in the specification that I wanted).

Nissan introduced the Datsun 240Z just a few years after the first dealerships were barely able to get cars to their customers... many of the cars that Nissan offered in Asia were unable to accelerate to highway speed on the short ON-Ramps in American cities(my Z-71 4x4 with posi needs every bit of it's V-8 horsepower)... The Datsun 240Z was introduced to change the minds of the American buyer... They introduced a car that no one thought would sell... It was a bombshell with spirit to match... THAT caught people's attention...

I really think that car makers need to get away from carbon copy platform cars with carbon copy body shapes... Car makers are turning cars into appliances and then forcing buyers to add overweight options for comfort and some form of originality(mine has DVD/GPS/MAP yours does not)...

I will gladly drive a bare essentials sports car... Especially if it looks good enough to eat... everyone will want one... give it performance to match and it will continue to sell well... as it's victories on track and it's venemous reputation grows... MAKE IT SEXY and MAKE IT SPIRITED... make it less than $24000 and it WILL SELL...

Cars have gotten so bland lately... the market needs sex appeal... even at the expense of aerodynamic efficiency...

I think the Jetta TDI cars have great gas mileage and great pickup(they would be fun if they were LIGHTER!)... The first gen MR2 I owned was FUN to drive in town(even without power steering and a manual tranny)... These are fun to drive vehicles that are easy to handle around town... They Zip in and out of traffic and are great on gas... You can do a lot with a light car... But it would be a huge diversion for whoever manufactured it...