HybridZ

knife edge the crank???

24ounce

what is knife edging and should i consider it for the stroker build

is there anything else i should look into - ive got arp main studs and arp rod bolts comming in and new main and rod bearings

and i have been stressing balance balance balance - there a good shop they have built a ton of race engines and they know what there doing though its mostly chevy v8 stuff but i dont fear the quality of the shop

They give the crank a "knife edge". Smoother then a blunt end. If I do a motor Id definetly do that along with balancing like you said to make a real smooth motor.

I dont really mind but alot people will have a fit if you dont search. It only took me couple of seconds to find it on google.

Good Luck

knife edge_thumb.jpg

well they have done some l series work and when i first went ther ei talked to an older guy and he knew more about l series junk then i did :P they have just never done L stroker

is knife edging not worth it then? or is it somethign i should do befor i get this pile all built

Guest 280ZForce

knife edging is a big no-no. I forget why but my auto teacher said it's not good for some reason. But i've heard it'll cut the engine life drastically.

ok well it sounds like it isnt gonna hurt much of anything if i dont do it and i had orignally planned on not doing it so i guess its not gonna happen - im just in a panic now that the machine shop actully has all my stuff - this is my first real motor build

My understanding of it is simply to eliminate some 'drag' caused by the crank turning through the oil. A knife edge will slice through much cleaner and smoother than a blunt (stock) edge therefore freeing up some power and likely reving faster... although, maybe someone more knowlegable can chime in here?

knife edging is a big no-no. I forget why but my auto teacher said it's not good for some reason. But i've heard it'll cut the engine life drastically.

Your shop teacher should stick to teaching kids how to do oil changes on Camrys. Below is a lightened and knife edged L6 diesel crank that had at least 20 hours of hard racing on it at NA power levels over 320 horsepower.

rodandpiston.jpg

isn't that what dry sump systems are for?

A dry sump system ensures the engine always has oil to lubricate the parts (external oil storage instead of an oil pan). One of the additional benefits to dry sumps is that the crankshaft isn't sloshing and cutting through the oil in the pan.

well i guess i wonte do it this time - after i blow this one up or build another ill take it to rebello and do forged junk along with other stuff like the knife edge

- im not going for any crazy 500hp build right now - hopefully when i get a little older and have a bit more change to toss around

Your shop teacher is alittle underinformed. Knife edging of cranks is usually reserved for high end motors that are trying to extract every HP potentially available. Crank windage is a big one, and it entrains air into the oil on wet sump systems. I'm not sure if it will make a difference but all those little hp adders add up at some point in time. I think the general point is to spend your money on what nets you the biggest gains first.

If your shop teacher thinks it shortens the life of motors then he shouldn't go visit a nascar engine room or watch superspeedway engines do 9000+ rpm for 500 miles plus qualifying!!!