HybridZ

Anyone ever driven a Ferrari

alexideways

• Administrators

I once drove a red 308 around Canby, (a little town just south of Portland), a good 30-40 minute drive in and around town. The shifter throws were long. FWIW, the car was stock, power was on par with a stock L-28 powered 280 and the handling was on par with a stock early S-30. Lots of body lean, way soft suspension etc. What it does bring to the table is lots of “chicks dig it” factor and the whine of that single plane V-8 crank exhaust note.… a sport bike BRAAAAAAP… Ahhhhhhhhhhh… pure heaven…

I have also LOVED those exposed Ferrari shift gates. Back in the early ’90’s I took the time to map out the shifter travel of the Datsun 5 speed in my '75 280 because I wanted a Ferrari like exposed shift gate. To just install a plate on the center console with slots for the shifter wont work because the shifter throws aren‘t long enough, especially the side to side motion as the shifter shaft overlaps itself at that height above the shifter pivot. You would have to build a box that stands up off the center console some distance for it to work and then you would have this tall butt ugly box protruding up from your center console.

Now if you just custom built a taller center console, (sort of makes your Z interior into tight little cocoon), then it could be made to work visually as well.

When I was 15 my dad use to let me drive his Ferrari. With him in it of course... A 78 308 GTB. Black tan leather. Cool car to say the least. That motor sang sooo sweet music! The best memory I had in the car was we were driving from duluth to the twin cites blasting the backroads at 100 plus and from nowhere a Z28 camaro decided 'tag' along. After about a half hour or so the camaro began falling back. Soon after white smoke in the rear view mirror. Like later dude.

EDIT: If my memory serves me correctly the car actually used this "H" type gate to aid in containing the shifter movement itself. Even had a depress detent for preventing accidental reverse. So in a Z it really would be just for looks. Have to admit though it would be cool indeed.

I just don't think the shift throws are long enough for the chrome gates. You don't WANT your shift throws to be long enough to have the chrome gates.

I drove a Testarossa. Got in it, looked around and thought "Damn, this is one expensive Fiat" the leather on the dash was all cockeyed and it just looked junky on the inside. Only drove it a couple of blocks to get it to the shop, pulled it in and tried to pop the trunk and the damn handle came off in my hand with a frayed section of what looked like bicycle brake cable. Then I had to beat the knock-offs with a lead hammer that was all mangled from previous wheel removal attempts, after I finally got the trunk open with a pair of channel locks. Needless to say at the end of the whole exercise I was less than impressed with the car. Oh, and you know those strakes on the side? Makes the sill of the Testarossa seriously about a foot wide. Really hard to get in and out of those stupid things. They sold the car a couple weeks later for $80K... :rolleyesg

I will second that the interiors of the 70s and 80s era cars have a cardboard look to them... leather covered cardboard... but very weak and wavy... It all just looks like it would fall apart under hard use...

I have heard nightmares about the electrical systems... and the bodywork is priceless unless you know a good aircraft builder who can work aluminum... even then it is priceless...