HybridZ

supercharger project upgrades

280zedx

Up here in the cold Canada we have all winter to get creative and work on the car. It's nice having the "down time" to screw around in the garage but it's frustrating as hell when you want to test your results. Thats where i am right now.

The car was running real smooth with the megasquirt and stock turbo injectors but i was relying on the water/meth injection to keep the wideband levels in the 12 to 1 range (running well over 100% duty cycle).

1 thing led to another...60mm throttle body, 4"x12"x22" intercooler, 2 1/2" piping, oil catch can, 440injectors, FPR, fuel rail, and a total facelift to the intake vacuum lines. It was lots of fabricating but well worth it. You may notice that all the fittings are not automotive, they take a bit more to work with but are at least a tenth the cost (yeah i know i'm not NHRA legal or whatever the class requirement is). The entire upgrade including paint totalled less than a grand, just lots of labour.

I'm now ready to eliminate my belt slipping issue which i was experiencing (it would usually slip at 9psi) and will be in the 12-15psi range with a bit of redesigning on the pulley brackets. The car idles fine now with new 440cc settings in MS but will require new tweaking on the high load end scale which i am unable to do when it's -30 outside.

Here's some pictures of the adventure so far:

A pic from the start of this project (a few years ago)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v186/280zedx/Jan_2_engine_compartment.jpg

Here's where i had it last summer (as well as signature)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v186/280zedx/P0001470.jpg

Here's a couple pics of it now, hybernating, waiting for spring...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v186/280zedx/280zx.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v186/280zedx/passengerside-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v186/280zedx/intake2.jpg

I'll add an update in a couple of months around April, which is usually when its safe to leave the garage here in Canada...

Cheers.

looking amazing, I like the blue and black on the charger .. it makes it stand out. your fabrication in a previous thread have made me to pick up my twin charger project again !

Anyhow what is yours of a Pontiac aswel ? i started drawing and fiddling with a bracket but it is very tight between the engine and strut tower.. or did you tilt your engine ?

Thanks for the compliments. No i didn't tilt the engine, but i did have to cut off a mounting bracket that stuck out the side of the supercharger in order to tuck it in closer to the block/head. The SC is a series 2 of any GM 3.8L.

Heres a pic of the bracket if that helps anyone:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v186/280zedx/107-0730_AUT.jpg

Hats off to the first Zcar that is twincharged!

damn you are ahead of me as you did the fabbing part mostly! But i have all the goodies ready so it is a matter of time to make it happen. If it will work is a second question, and if it will deliver more HP is another .. but fiscally it will exist MOWAHAHA

thanks for your help sofar.. are you thinking of twincharging ?

Anyhow i have the same charger and noticed the mounting bracket being an issue, so i wondered what you did to work around that.

On the other had would not putting the charger on its side deliver more room ?? mounting would be a pain, but it might make accesing plugs easier. ( i have no PS) on the other hand it will not clear the oil pressure sender or filter i take.

Anyhow you have the proven way it works .. so that will be a good base set up to work off, thanks again for sharing

Hope to be twincharging this summer !!

Holy crap Mike, that's looking good! I haven't seen it yet and just noticed this post. Are you looking for a re-match down the back-roads this summer? ;)

I'll have you warned however.. I just picked up a Hy35 on Ebay. LOL

Graham -I was thinking of keeping my mouth shut and the hood closed until after the dust settled at the next re-match...

The cat's out of the bag, now it's heads up! heh heh

• 1 year later...

280zedx, nice work, very clean. I'm currently fabbing up an intake for my M62 but I'm running the whole thing on the intake side, should be interesting. I know you mentioned you're running a 2 series, but is it an M62 or M90? What boost are you running , and correspondingly what injectors? I think I figured the zxt's would work fine, but I'm wondering if I can just run an FMU to make the stock injectors put out the volume I need. Phil

nice fab job. i'd assume that the gm sc is also plentiful and easy to get parts for as well-good choice. is there a way you can redirect your intake to draw non-engine bay warm air? that could help your ic to work more efficiently and drop your intake temp even further = more power!

are you planning a turbo as well to make this twincharged?!

1tuffz, not sure who you're talking to, but I'm sure not going to do the turbo+supercharger route (although it would be a logical progression seeing I'm running the sc on the intake/exhaust side.....). Not for now anyways. The trickiest part of this entire hoopla is that my car is 303 mi from me, at home (still a student) and I'm working on what I THINK will work. (pray will work!!!!!!)

1tuffz, not sure who you're talking to, but I'm sure not going to do the turbo+supercharger route (although it would be a logical progression seeing I'm running the sc on the intake/exhaust side.....). Not for now anyways. The trickiest part of this entire hoopla is that my car is 303 mi from me, at home (still a student) and I'm working on what I THINK will work. (pray will work!!!!!!)

I am going that route

hybryd_superturbo.jpg

so at least i can give some trail and error

Yeah, that looks exactly like what I wanted to do when i was mocking up my supercharger but i stuck it in place of the A/C instead. I'm using the M-90 T-bird SC because i got it cheap! Your color scheme and details look first class!! Are you running a blow through system?

if any of you supercharger guys that are mounting them on the battery side can post a picture of the outlet/discharge tube/pipe it would be greatly appreciated. i am seeing how you guys are running the install and i am very interested in doing it myself. no twin-charge for me, i just enjoy the sound of a s/c

yeah....flow..... I'm kinda banking on the fact that I'll have pressure and I've got a decent volume there to minimize the effects of the first three runners getting more air than the last three (since the supercharger is basically offset to the front by a bit. We'll see...will definitely keep everybody posted with pics, in a few weeks I'll test fit it on my spare block when I go home for spring break.