HybridZ

300zxTT vs. 80's 911 for Daily use

tfreer85

So, I've been looking for a reliable daily driver, something better than 16mpg, COMPACT (I drive a crew cab truck any car is comact...), and stick shift. Ideally I want the car to be a nice semi-sporty cruiser until my Z is done, then be able to take down the Daily Driver for a rebuild/modification. I've narrowed my choices down to a 1991 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo and a 1980 Porsche 911 SC.

Pro's Nissan:

Newer

Cheaper Upkeep

Large source of parts

Con's Nissan:

Can be very ricey

Extremely cramped engine bay

Pro's Porsche:

Its a Porsche

911 Model TONS of options

Dreamt of a Widebody conversion for a while

Con's Porsche:

Older

Higher $$ Upkeep

Expensive parts

The 300zx is 7.5k (120k MI) and the 911 is 10k (90k Mi), insurance is going to run me around the same for both. I'd like it to be able to go to the track AS IS now and have fun, but mostly be a fun daily driver. Opinions on which you'd rather have or choose and/or why?

Link for the Porsche: http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail/photos/multiPhotoPopup.jsp;jsessionid=STOKXV0JDYYXBLAYIE1E2VA?paId=197414738&tracktype=usedcc&aff=national

Link for the Nissan: http://www.cameraads.com/clipBoard.tmpl?cart=1171760436252089&theMag=Auto&action=ShowIt

Thanks,

Tyson

P.S. Thanks to Mikelly's thread on 911's, I hadn't looked at 80's Porsches cost in a long time...

I have a 91 300zx twin turbo and I absolutely LOVE it! It is the best overall car I have ever owned. It is fast enough to hold its own against most everything. It handles like nobodys business (I have alittle suspension work done). Gets tons of looks around town. The climate control is amazing (I have never gotten in the car on a cold day and shivered until I got to my destination). It starts for me every day. And the best part is that it is a Nissan.

MY vote goes to the 911. That's a really fair price for as good of shape as that car is in. Also, the Porsche isn't going to depreciate as quickly, and in fact, will most likely appreciate in the very near future. I've driven that generation and I have to say that while it made me work a little, it was overall an absolute blast. I've never driven a Z32 so I can't compare them from an incar standpoint. If you get bored with the power though, there's always the "HybridP" kit for an SBC.

MY vote goes to the 911. That's a really fair price for as good of shape as that car is in. Also, the Porsche isn't going to depreciate as quickly, and in fact, will most likely appreciate in the very near future. I've driven that generation and I have to say that while it made me work a little, it was overall an absolute blast. I've never driven a Z32 so I can't compare them from an incar standpoint. If you get bored with the power though, there's always the "HybridP" kit for an SBC.

How do you mean "work a little"? Yeah, I have a ton of links on swapping motors into Porsche's, but I want it to be reliable enough and fun enough now to last me until my LS1 240z is done. Still trying to find good 911 porsche forum.

Tyson

It took me a little while to adjust to the different driving style that they require. I at first was unimpressed with the car, and didn't understand why my friend loved it so much, but then I late braked into a car and all of a sudden the car just hooked and I was through the corner. I didn't know that they prefer to have the front end loaded up, having never driven a rear engine car before other than a few early VW Beetles. Also, he had a racing clutch in it and it was stiffer than anything I had EVER driven. Overall, I'd say "work" means adjust to a new and different car. His was/is a 78 911SC, also white. It has a 3.2L in it too.

The 2.7 from the mid to late 70s is the one with the (deserved) bad rep. They had problems with the smog equipment running really hot and causing problems with the heads. In my experience the early to mid 80's 911's are super easy to work on, easiest of all of them in fact. When I look under the hood of the Z32TT it just looks like 10 lbs of ♥♥♥♥ in a 5 lb bag to me, then again, I never worked on them, just checked out the occasional one that showed up at autox. Not to say Porsche didn't squeeze their engine into the 911, but of the two the 911 is the much less intimidating of the two to have to do regular maintenance on.

If I had to guess I'd say the Z32 is the more forgiving car to drive. The 911 is not very forgiving. Personally I'd probably opt for the 911. Better yet, take katman's advice and build an older lighter Z car to drive for fun and get a boring A to B car to commute in.

I had a 1980 Porsche 911SC for 3 years and my father owns a 72 911E...so I can help you out. Like the member said above, the 2.7 cars from 74-77 were the only 911s that had issues...that was due to improper cooling and pulling head studs. As for the 3.0s in the SC, they are almost bulletproof if the owner took care of it. It's common to hear about 3.0 and 3.2s doing 200K+ miles without a rebuild.

The only two issues with the 3.0s is upgrading the chain tensioners and installing a pop-off valve in the airbox....most owners have already done both.

I had my SC for 3 years and spent less than $150 on total parts (needed to replace a plug wire). The biggest thing with these cars is try to buy from an enthusiasts that has the proper paperwork/reciepts. These cars like to be run so it's actually better to buy from someone that drives the car instead of keeps it as a garage queen....911s that sit tend to have issues. But like I said before, these cars are VERY reliable....hell, I daily drove mine everyday, rain or shine (in Seattle). I couldn't daily drive my dad's car but the SC's are quite comfortable....comfy seats, good sound deadening, electric windows, good low end torque with a 5th gear which makes freeway driving painless (you can leave it in 5th and you'll still have plenty of grunt for passing.)

As for the cars being unpredictable...that's more of a concern with the older models. My dad's 72 is twitchy and the tail likes to come around but that's mostly due to tires. My 80 was a totally different beast...yeah, it's a bit tricky in the pouring rain if you decide to give it too much gas in a corner but other than it's pretty docile. Just take it slow at first and learn the characteristics of the car...you'll learn how the car reacts and see the point in which the rear end breaks loose. I was 21 when I had mine (paid for it myself) and it was my first rwd car...and I only looped it a few times doing stupid stuff. haha You really have to drive hard to get into trouble with an SC....it's one of those cars you could hand the keys to your wife/gf and they wouldn't get in any trouble with it if they drove it like a normal passenger car.

My friend, Mike, got his SC with a transplanted 3.2, I was under the impression that it was from an 83, but that could very well be wrong. He also had to rebuild the already rebuilt transmission becuase someone else had f-ed it up royally. We had the whole thing out so fast, using a lift, I couldn't believe it. It was almost painless. I can't see getting a ZXtt engine in or out in under two hours.

Regulatori makes some fantastic points and I support everything he says.

The 3.0L in the SC makes for an extremely reliable car, these same engines unmodified have made the Paris to Dakar rally. Shows how really robust they are, try that in a 300ZX TT! LOL...200K miles is easy...Porsche loves FRESH oil BTW!!!

Really the 300ZX is a spendid car and even though they are the same price, they are a million worlds apart. To be truly honest I am a Porsche 911 owner and lover and if I had to choose between a 300ZX TT and a 911SC I would honestly choose the 300ZX. Its modern, it had modern suspension and brakes and can be upgraded to be extremely fast without sacrificing reliability.

The 300ZX is a pain to work on and the 911SC is far easier to wrench on. I can pull the engine in my 911 in 4-5hours by myself. And what people say about 911 Porsches being expensive, is not true. Everyday consumeables like tune up parts, brakes, etc etc, are cheap...same as owning any Nissan. Forum support for both are excellent - which is a bonus.

So it comes down, to personal preference and which car makes you feel passionate, no forum could ever answer that, that comes from deep within your bowel.

Once you drive a 911...it is simply addictive. Check http://www.pelicanparts.com, they are the largest Porsche forum in the US for sure and have an EXCELLENT selection of enthusiast pampered cars for sale, also check http://www.rennlist.com (the classifieds).

Good luck.

Yasin

Thanks a lot guys for all the great responses. The idea of a boring A to B car, won't work for me, nothing agaisnt them but not where I am in life right now. I'm also already very knee deep in a 240Z LS1/T56 swap, but when thats done I'll want the DD to become the next extensive project. This is a really tough decision for me, I've loved modified Porsches for a long time, they look great, then seem to have a GREAT reputation for being fun cars to drive, but as Yasin and others have pointed out the Z32 is newer with newer technology. While the Z32 doesn't quite have the same classic or look or awe inspiring look it can and does look pretty clean. As pointed out the Z32 is easily upgradable with minor bolt-ons etc. but more of a pain to do so. Is the comfort and newer technology worth the future headache of wrenching? Do I make a sacrifice on creature comforts and get a Classic with easier wrench-ability? If i buy the Z32 I'd have 2.5k in possible upgrades, if I buy the porsche I'd have to wait a while do do anything. Ai, the Z32 definitely seems like it could be a safer, more reliable daily driver through all weather conditions, and as others stated a little more forgiving. Going to have to double check with insurance see which one cost me less and have that be the deciding factor since both get the same MPG, and both are very tempting cars.

Thanks again,

Tyson