HybridZ

How much torque and power can stock 72 240Z chassis handle?

Personally, I think even a bone-stock 30-some year old Z needs chassis support, but that's just me. My un-stiffened 72's in the 350 hp range, and I must say I believe I can feel it flexing just a bit - or maybe it's my imagination. Keep in mind it still has a stock diff in it, so torque tends to become tire smoke before it becomes velocity.

i thought it was torque numbers this fellow was asking about!!!!!

depending on the rust content in the car, also any reapairs or fixups that have made the unibody stronger/weaker, depending on what day the car was made etc, ie longer spotwelds on modays and fridays lol.

id probly say that upto approx 300-350ft/lb and beyond would be around the mark where you start to notice the twist!

youre right about a 'can of worms', heres 1, my 340hp bike motor on alcohol only has 100Nm of torque!!!! revs...well thats another story.

i thought it was torque numbers this fellow was asking about!!!!!

depending on the rust content in the car, also any reapairs or fixups that have made the unibody stronger/weaker, depending on what day the car was made etc, ie longer spotwelds on modays and fridays lol.

id probly say that upto approx 300-350ft/lb and beyond would be around the mark where you start to notice the twist!

youre right about a 'can of worms', heres 1, my 340hp bike motor on alcohol only has 100Nm of torque!!!! revs...well thats another story.

How much power and torque

I would have quoted torque numbers to if i could remember them.

Stony - What tires were you using?

At the time i was using 275 x15 x 50 BFG drag radials.

Search "chassis stiffening" or "chassis bracing" and you'll find TONS of info on this subject. I think you can put a lot more load on the chassis turning it than you can with a big motor, and I've seen enough cracked B pillars on Zs with stock L24's to back that up. Until someone actually does some scientific tests of deflection we really don't have a good answer to this question. So it becomes more a matter of degrees. Do you want your chassis extremely stiff? Do you care? It's all up to you. I can tell you that the difference when adding a strut tower bar is night and day (if you like to turn).

When I used to race the guys at Maximum Motorsports they did test the amount of flex on the Mustang. One of the guys who worked there told me that they made a rig where they could put torque to the crankshaft and then measure with dial indicators the chassis flex in various places. Basically it was kind of like a long breaker bar which they would use to put torque to the crankshaft. I can't remember much about what they found, other than I seem to remember that the transmission tunnel flexed almost 3/8" at 350 lb/ft. Then they made K members and subframe connectors and added different roll cages and other pieces and retested.