HybridZ

Trying To "Un-Seize" a "Seized" motor? Suggestions Please

slownrusty

Gang - I was able to score a low mileage turbo motor, supposedly just over 100K. I picked it up brought it home and tried turning it over by hand and no luck..it feels definately seized, it has not been run in many many years -probably 5 or so, but the oil is topped off in it and is not very dirty.

I have not looked further into it, but was wondering could I do some things to see if I could get it to turn over by hand. I had a pretty long breaker bar and socket on the crank bolt and no-go.

I guess I could start dis-mantling...to further investigate?

Any suggestions that you could please share?

Thanks!

Yasin

Soak as per the suggestion above. Also, pull the cam cover and pour Marvel Mystery Oil on the cam, rockers, chain, etc. Pull the distributor and pour more MMO down the hole. When you put the breaker bar on the engine, try to turn it in both directions, alternate directions, and/or put an impact gun on the crank bolt and let it hammer at a light setting for a few seconds. Try turning it from the flywheel. Drill out a spark plug and weld an air fitting to the outside end. Screw it the cylinder that's one the compression stroke and apply air pressure. That will help force the MMO down around the piston and rings.

• Administrators

Yasin,

Being as it is seized, (for any number of reasons, rusted cylinders, broken rod wedged against the crank, etc) I’m sure you don’t plan to try and start it up, let alone run it before rebuilding it right, so why not just tear it down as it needs to be rebuilt anyway.

In taking off the oil pan, valve cover, cylinder head, front cover etc, it will then become more evident as to your new engine wont rotate. Hopefully it doesn’t suffer from the broken rod scenario as you would’ve paid $50 more than the engine is worth, pending the P-90 head being a good rebuildable core…

Hoping your seized engine is a good rebuildable core…

Good luck,

Paul

I used Marvels on my 240 that had sat for 9 YEARS!!!!! Everything is perfect on it. I let the Marvels work for 48 hours and then bumped the motor to make sure the it would turn over. Alsotrytosee if you can "prime" the oil pump. On the Z it is possible just take the cover off the oil pump and use a drill to turn the impeller

I have a mechanic friend that used ATF to unfreeze a Toyota pickup motor. Not only did it unfreeze the motor, the truck ran fine for years after that not needing a rebuild. Amazing. I knew the owner of the truck and the mechanic personally, so I know this can be done. Severe smoking afterward due to burning off of the ATF was an issue for a little bit, but nothing bad after that.

I would try MMO instead since that seems to be a more popular choice. Plus, it probably won't smoke as much.

Davy

Kroil. In the orange can with black typeface. Miracle oil when it comes to dissolving rust-fuzz in cylinders and corrosion on aluminum of all sorts.

Marvel is also good, but Kroil 'it's the oil that kreeps'---superpenetrant. Gets everywhere. But not nearly as cheap as Marvels. I scam if off my jobs, otherwise it's like $9+ per aerosol can!!!