HybridZ

Innovate Motorsports on Rice Boy's

RTz

• Administrators

I was thumbing through the Innovate manual and near the end I found this 'tid bit'...

"Very often one can see small front-wheel-drive cars on the road with huge wings mounted on the

trunk lid. But there’s no corresponding aerodynamic down-force device in the front. Of course, in

the majority of cases the wing is there for the ‘cool factor’ because many race-cars have wings

(birds do too, but birds also have no penis)."

:rockon:

I was thumbing through the Innovate manual and near the end I found this 'tid bit'...

"Very often one can see small front-wheel-drive cars on the road with huge wings mounted on the

trunk lid. But there’s no corresponding aerodynamic down-force device in the front. Of course, in

the majority of cases the wing is there for the ‘cool factor’ because many race-cars have wings

That is truly funny! Factory wings don't usually count because they're smaller and usually have some aero research behind them, such that the wings give slightly better gas mileage and/or downforce in many cases.

Davy

That is awesome!

See.. I always thought the 'wing' term was wrong anyway, as far as a factory unit goes.. The proper name is a 'spoiler' as far as I know, and IS actualy related to aero. testing. It's intention is to re-direct the air flow over the rear for various reasons. Ever wonder why a lot of fwd minivans have them on the roof above the rear hatch? It pushes air down across the window (well, it's ment to) in an attempt to keep it clear/clean. (similar principal as the old Benz's tail lights with all the ridges across them; air flow around them keeps the lens clear and more visible than a flat lense would be)

Sometimes, it would be for downforce though, yes, even in a fwd car. Anyone who has driven a fwd GM cavalier, grand am, lumina, ect, will agree that the arse is light as hell for some reason, and DOES kick out in rain or snow. Obviously there isn't enough air flow at low speeds, so the effect of a spoiler is nill and the back slides out. Higher speeds though, I can see how it would add a measure of stability and keep the rear from 'floating' around. The giant wings seen today though, I just can't take seriously... Oh, good point about the birds lack of a penis.. :lol: