HybridZ

Paint Scheme for my Z

Bartman

I seen trucks on the streets that try to do the same 2 tone fade they don't look good.. This is what a nice 2 tone fade paint should look like...

0609cr_15_z+2006_detroit_autorama+1950_mercury.jpg

a nice soft 2 tone fade. I think that blue and white color would look good if done like the fade on the picture.

Having looked closely at this photo, it's clear to me that more then one color is blending into the other. It's an easy thing to do, when your mixing your own colors, and you have your own paint mixing system. Ive done it several times myself with nice results and it will take some of the pressure off of getting the "Perfect Line". By changing the colors hue or effect, depending upon the colors you choose, creates an illussion to the eye that just won't allow your eyes to pick up the diffrence from one color to the next. Unless of course you step on the air line while trying to go from one end of the car to the other, it will be much easier to accomlpish. Just take a look at the next rainbow you see for natures perfect example of blending colors!!!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The fade looks like you ran out of the paint you wanted and grabbed the next can on the shelf. fades have fadded IMO. fades look VERY GENERIC. But hey, if you do it. you can get some of that fade window tint too. Looks equally tacky, and should match perfectly.

Go with two tone man. The end result is sooooooo much nicer. Especially on a "Z".

• 1 month later...

Fade looks are alot easier to pull off with rattle cans. You should practice with a gun. Also fades like on that Merc are done with candy paints which are semi transparent, and easier to fade well. The more coats you put on the darker it gets. You can also add base clear to the candy to make it more transparrent for the fade. Do a Silver base over the entire car, then apply a candy blue over the silver, and slowly fade to nothing but silver. One thing about candy type paints is that you have to be good about your overlaps or you could end up with striping. But that can be overcome with practice.

go for it bart i think that'd just be downright sexy on a z! you'd get peoples eyes glued to it so tight you'd be draggin' 'em for blocks! great idea, stick to your concept and i guarentee everyone's goin' to have something to say.

I'm still planning on going this route, and everyone will probably have something to say...hopefully some of it will be positive. I've actually blended in some fender vents now that will help carry the Mako Shark theme. I was hoping to have it painted by now, but the body work is taking me some time to do and I don't want to rush it. In the picture I posted I started with someone else's car and photoshopped my wheels on it and drew on the side and rear skirts, here's a pic of how my car looks now:

DSCF4005.JPG

The fender vents don't show up too well in the picture, but you can probably get the idea.

My $.02!! I like the fade!! I think if you make your bumpers the darker color (or leave them chrome) and start the fade BELOW that bumper line it would look better.

Show us the finished product and have fun!!!

Regards,

Astrohog

The bumpers will stay chrome, and I think the fade will stay below them. I do want the silver fade to make it up to at least the bottom part of the "gills" though.

I hope I'm not rambling...I'm on vacation in Holland right now and I still have jet lag so I'm up early posting on HybridZ!

hehe astrohog is stalking me... :P whats up man? guess you found the best web forum out there!

No, NOT stalking.....Just pretty much lurking around here!!!

When I originally bought my Z last year, I found Hybridz AND Classic Z cars... I joined both, but spent most of my time over at Classic Z's...

BUT...

Now that I am doing a turbo swap, I have been spending more time over here!!!!

Either way, I feel very fortunate to have two EXCELLENT forums available to me!!

As far as NissanPacific goes, I met Joe last year in the parking lot @ Hardware Sales and when I asked if there was any local Z guys getting together, he told me about NissanPacific.

There ya have it!!!!

It looks like the rain may hold off today, so I am gonna go get the Z and go for a drive (maybe I will finish getting the A/C OUT...Need to make room in there for TURBO electronics!!).

Regards,

Astrohog

The bumpers will stay chrome, and I think the fade will stay below them. I do want the silver fade to make it up to at least the bottom part of the "gills" though.

quote]

Cool! I think that keeping the "solid silver" portion relatively small (maybe actual silver to just ABOVE the side skirts) and the FADE portion should be relatively WIDE (maybe actually FADING almost all the way through the gills).

Hope that made sense, and again, ...just MY $.02!!

Do what YOU like, just make sure you share it all with us AND HAVE FUN!!!

Regards,

Astrohog

well you've got plenty of positive feedback so far, just remember one good is enough to balance at least ten negative. what matters in the end is that you're happy with your car!! i think the adition of the vents will set it off nicely, you've got a keen eye for style on this bart don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

edit: i agree with astrohog's original post, while the large fade would look good it's alot of body to cover with a graphic transition, bringing it through the bumpers would accent the whole car. i'm not one for large graphic sections it brings that whole "rice" thing to mind, not that they're bad so long as they're done in taste. again... do what you think looks best bart, best of luck.

I've actually blended in some fender vents now that will help carry the Mako Shark theme. The fender vents don't show up too well in the picture, but you can probably get the idea.

I like the gills, if I ever do body work on mine it will have gills. But my paint so too good to mess with now.

I'm still planning on going this route, and everyone will probably have something to say...hopefully some of it will be positive.

DO what you feel like doing. I think that's what make z's cool.

their owners are as unique as the cars themselves. =)

all the power to ya! amen!

I like that alot better. I have always had the idea of doing ghost BRE stripes on the side. I think when I repaint my car it will be a darker blue with lighter blue ghost BRE stripes on the front fenders.

You read my mind on that one except I'm considering a gray on top with silver sides or vice versa then ghost in the BRE stripes. cool!!!

Anybody want to try and photo shop that for me?

• 1 month later...

Here's my latest test results. This is just with spay cans, but it gives me a general idea of how it will look. I'm liking it, and this is petty close to how I want the fade to look. The surface is not perfect, remember this is just a simple test.

DSCF4202.JPG

the fade wont look that good trust me, i work at the best body shop in the city and our painter can't even make it look that good. it'll either be to quick of a fade or too slow, unless you get a world renowned painter goodluck.

that's somewhat of a thoughtless thing to say.

a lot of people are considered "professionals" at what they do, yet others are just inherently better at the same things because they just have that touch.

you don't really have to be "world reknowned"

im sure all hobbyist engine builders or hobbyist car restorers aren't the best in the world, yet return comparable results using whatever tools they have in some cases, and I wouldn't consider it a miracle, I would consider it patience.