HybridZ

Any reason to not run aluminum fuel line

Clifton

I'm going to run dual intank pumps and need to upgrade to 3/8 feed and return. I have used aluminum lines before and they sure are easy to bend. I know they are rated for 250 psi but don't know if it is a good idea to run them at 70 psi or if they are mainly for low pressure, carbed setups. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

They will melt if you have an engine compartment fire, which is why they are not used on aircraft. Apart from that, no problems that I can think of. The OEMs use plastic lines now, so I don't think that there is any legal reason not to use them. EFI pressures should be no problem.

Doug

I run 3/8" aluminum fuel line to the engine compartment for feed and return. I then use braided line from the firewall to the rail/regulator etc. with Russell fittings. Aluminum line is easy to work with and I have never had a problem with it..just be carefull as it kinks easily.

There was an excellent thread on this a while back. One problem with aluminum is it will crack if subjected to regular movement. Thus make sure everything is well mounted. It seems to be the hard line of choice on this site. The majority of people here say that is what they used.

I bought the 90-10 cupirous nickle stuff. I will be running the lines this week end. It is suppose to be easy to work with like aluminum, but without any of the problems. Very expensive. I am also redoing my brake lines so just decided to get matching stuff for the fuel.

• 2 weeks later...
They will melt if you have an engine compartment fire, which is why they are not used on aircraft. Apart from that, no problems that I can think of. The OEMs use plastic lines now, so I don't think that there is any legal reason not to use them. EFI pressures should be no problem.

Doug

ummm they kinda are used on aircraft. ive built the lines, pressure checked above 300psi. i use aluminum lines on my car, it sure is hard to join to the stock -5 lines. one day i wanna redo the whole shabang

Guest TeamNissan
The only reason I can think of is that Aluminum is pretty brittle and my crack over time if exposed to vibration.

Actualy Aluminum is less brittle then steel.

Actualy Aluminum is less brittle then steel.

...until you bend it

Aluminum work hardens, so if you make fuel lines out of it, secure them well so that they cannot vibrate independently of what they are attached to, and you should be fine.

Guest TeamNissan

No, even bending it. I had to take metelergy classes in school. Its a insainly long convo to have too because you would have to go through many processes and alloys. Basicly the least flexable steal will loose to the least flexable aluminum and the most flexable steel will also loose to the most flexable aluminum in both alloy and process.

Obviously there are lots of alloys that will beat one another. In the end though aluminum wins.

No, even bending it. I had to take metelergy classes in school. Its a insainly long convo to have too because you would have to go through many processes and alloys. Basicly the least flexable steal will loose to the least flexable aluminum and the most flexable steel will also loose to the most flexable aluminum in both alloy and process.

Obviously there are lots of alloys that will beat one another. In the end though aluminum wins.

I don't normally do this because spelling shouldn't matter on an internet car site. But run that through a spell checker and ask yourself how much credibility you are conveying with all those typos. I'm not ragging on you, but you have to admit that is some funny stuff.

I believe ductility is the word you are looking for.

I have always heard that aluminum work hardens also. At any rate it can't hurt to solidly mount the hard lines.

Guest TeamNissan

Ya I def dont care about spelling, way too lazy lol. I spent 16 years of school being forced to spell correctly I really dont have the will to spell check what I write in a forum. I know what you mean though pop, people make fun of me all the time for it. The point and facts are still the same though :-).

You can rag on me though, I wont take offense :-P.

Nope.

The standard measure of a metal's "flexibility" (ductility) is elongation of a 1/2" OD bar as a percent in 2".

1010 through A500C steels elongate from 20 to 23%. 4130 and up steels elongate around 11% which is a result of their higher carbon content. Structural aluminum in 2024T351 elongates 19%, 6061T651 elongates 17%, and 7075T651 elongates 11%.

Another big difference is the spread between a material's yield point (where it starts to bend) and its tensile point (when it starts to crack). In aluminum that spread is very small compared to steel. Aluminum's spread is typically around 10ksi while steel's is typically around 30ksi.