HybridZ

Old DatsunZ engines - Any value?

Danno74Z

Forgive me if this is the wrong place for this question.

I will be pulling my tired Datsun Z engine soon and was wondering if there is a need or demand for these old engines. What is the value for them? As most of these engines are now 30 years old most need a total rebuild. In my case, I have the downdraft dual Weber’s so I can perhaps get a few $ for them. Probably, just take it and tranny to a junk yard – any suggestions? What did some of you guy do with the old hunk of CI?

Thanks

Danno74Z

I have the Dual Weber's also and when I purchased them about 10 years ago they were around $700. Perhaps I might take them off and try selling them and the manifold by themselves. I will never use this engine again and since my car is a 260Z it has no real value as a collector car. I hate to just throw the engine away. There must be at least $25 worth of aluminum in the cylinder head alone! My wife would kill me if I pulled the engine and tranny and kept it in the driveway or as a decorative lawn element.

Danno74Z

Um, hate to burst anyones bubbles but the dual downdraft webers are not so sought after. Infact the round top SU's will out perform them. The side draft triples weber are a different story.

You're not telling us anything we didn't already know.

Just kind of a pisser.

Maybe sell them to some subaru or old volkswagen beetle guy. They would rock on a flat engine.

It has always amazed me how a simple question can turn into a debate. SU vs. Weber's who gives a rats .... Anyway for the record, I have had both and I could not tell much of a performance difference between the two. Both were temperamental and both required constant adjustment to all the linkages -you can have them both. I have to say both were night and day better then the original junk system that came with the 260Z.

Thanks for all the input.

Danno74Z

I bought a complete 240 engine two years ago for $100. Kept the SUs and all the linkage. Just sold the pistons(not that he's using them) and rods to a guy doing a stroker for $75. Took the block, crank, and flywheel to the scrap yard for $10. So, I still have the head, valve cover, cast iron exhaust manifold, carb/linkage/intake. By the way, the internals looked excellent. I hated to scrap that stuff, but that's just the nature of the market.

Below are two items I found on ebay that says it all. jbk240z may be right about the boat anchor idea, but since I live in CO, nobody has a boat large enough that needs an anchor that big.

Danno74Z

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/78-Nissan-Datsun-280z-Engine-Transmission-runs-strong_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33615QQihZ011QQitemZ320087108773QQrdZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-240z-SU-Carburetor-for-L24-L26-L28-engines-carb_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33550QQihZ016QQitemZ260092097447QQrdZ1

heck id take that car!! i just got a 240z motor for free, it was in some triumph roadster. it came with su's e88 head and alternator, starter, everything. what part of the su has to be round/flat to tell what kind they are, and what are they worth. i dunno this stuff, im l28 kinda guy, im keeping the head and rods for future plans, all the rest is for sale.