HybridZ

Ingenious solution for engine storage - furniture dollies

ktm

I bought a pair of Harbor Freight furniture dolly's when I needed to move a hot tub. I think $35 for the pair. When I got my crate motor, I mounted one dolly to the bottom of the crate to move it around. I then installed a couple of 2x4 spacers to get the crate up over the engine lift legs. Further modification to the crate allowed me to bolt and unbolt the trans to the back of the motor while it is sitting on the crate and dolly. It moves a fully loaded V8 and trans with ease and slides right up to the lift.

The old L6 is still sitting on the second dolly in my driveway. I did make a metal frame out of old bed frames to mount the L6 and trans to the furniture dolly.

I thought everybody used Harbor Freight Dollies!

I put a 2X6 Frame on them, with a little cutout on the right front for the oil pump. The 2X6 hugs the rails of the oil pan, and the cutout lets it sit right down nice and snug---it's pretty easy to make up, and then they sit VERY STABLE on the furniture dollies. Of course, if your storing TURBO engines, there is another slot to cut on the left side to clear the stock oil return. But you can do it with a hammer and hand saw...

This allows you to 'stack' an engine beneath two others that are sitting on the 750# HF Engine Dollies. So you can get four in the place of two...

Well, I certainly learned something new. I did not even think about furniture dollies.

Could these furniture dollies sub as car dollies? You know, they're the 4 caster dollies that go under each wheel? The real ones I think are made of metal.

They cost about $150 dollars for the set of 4!

Do you think 4 of these furniture dollies under each wheel can

be used to move our project car around the garage with

all that weight?

Last time we moved I had recently stripped a spare parts car for my '84 GTI driver/autoxer. Well technically they dont move parts but they did anyway ... I assume because they get paid by the pound but that's just speculation. Anyway to move the engine/transaxle (still attached to each other) they set it on a furniture dolly - the kind with four small casters and four 2x4's with a little carpet wrapped around the wood. Anyway when they unloaded they didn't feel like lifting it off so they said to just keep it. To make an long pointless story even longer it now holds up an L24 wasting valuable space in my garage (GTI is long gone). And yes it's plenty strong and moves around easily enough to be useful.

Cameron

i had the bare car on 2 hf dollies as i moved crap around in the garage. not a problem moving in and out of the garage or to the side of the house where i have a hf portable garage set up as my blasting area.

jimbo

Dang... i love this site... that is exactly what I had in mind for my

240z that is a bare car right now (no engine). With the HF dollies,

I can move the car in the middle of the garage when I work on it,

then slide it back to the side when my wife demands for her own space!!!

Right now, I have fliers from HF with furniture dollies for as little as

$8.99!!! Yea, baby!

Man.. seems those HF furniture dollies are better suited for moving the car than the HF car dollies! I bought those (~$40/pr) and found the iron casters to be really poor quality, making the car hard to roll around. Maybe I should steal some furniture dolly wheels for them...

- Greg -