HybridZ

License Plate Gas Filler

Today I was looking at our Pontiac Pirresian that we inherited from my grandma and the rear license plate flips down to reveal the gas filler. Anyone ever done this or know of any other cars that I could pull one off at a junkyard. I know the Caprice is the equivelant to the Perisian but Im not sure if it would have the gas filler in the same spot.

I know youd have to reroute the filler neck to the back and it would have to come through part of the interior but Im planning on some kind of fuel cell and you could make some kind of cover for the tube so that wouldnt be a problem.

If it wasnt my dads car Id pull it off and use it on the Z.:D

Thanks

The filler neck on those cars is about 10 inches long and comes right out of the tank. What exactly do you want to "pull off" of the donor car? There are 2 pieces to the system, the hinge on the licence plate frame and the gas tank. Most of the late 60s, early 70s vintage GMs used this design.

• Like 1

I know the member "sr240z" has this modification on his white car. But he didn't perform the modification, it was on there when he bought the car. He's running a fuel cell though.

Im probably going to try this too, i'm not too fond of the idea of opening my hatch to fill my fuel cell.

• Like 1

Mikelly had it on his car when it was white. Maybe PM him or perhaps he'll see the thread and comment. I think there have been two done since HybridZ has been around; Mike's was successful, but I'm thinking he eventually changed it for a different 'look.'

Davy

• 3 weeks later...

Mopar69, you must be younger then me (I'm 43... I think) because these things were all over the place when I was younger. I think damn near every GM car had it like that, at least the full sized models. The hinged license plate frame should be a relatively simple thing to find in the bone yard. It was a simple devise, held on by two bolts and could easily be screwed to the back of a zcar. (as others have said) One thing though, I think GM got rid of it because it wasn't the safest thing in a rear end collision.

A metal cover over the fuel cell or metal bulkhead separating the driver and cell is required by most racing organizations BTW. Even if you guys aren't ever going to race, makes a lot of sense. A hose between the filler neck welded to the rear panel and the fuel cell could rip loose in an accident. Fuel sloshing all over the car interior in an accident, ewww... that could get nasty.

Race parts are for... well... race cars. Lifting the tailgate to fill the tank might be a pain, but it may well be the price you pay if you wanna run a fuel cell.

Not trying to rip on anybody by the way, please don't take it like that. Just, as a former collision tech for twenty years, I saw a lot of ugly stuff, some of which resulted in the owner's family coming to get their departed loved ones belongings out of what was left of the car. Also, post pictures of your fuel cell installations in a zcar. I wanna put one in my... ah... race car.

Mopar69, you must be younger then me (I'm 43... I think) because these things were all over the place when I was younger. I think damn near every GM car had it like that, at least the full sized models.

Yeah I just turned 16 that is a little younger then you. I had heard about some of these but never actually seen one till we got my grandmas car. One reason I liked it was because it was such a simple design like you said just 2 bolts and its on.

The only problem I was looking at was the small support that went vertically right behind the license plate on the Z. Can you just cut it or would you have to reinforce it?

Can you do this with the stock tank? I dont have the money now for a fuel cell but will hopefully paint my car this summer and I dont want to have to go back and smooth in the gas door once its painted.

I moved the filler on my Z31. I got the plate hinge from the local jy don't recall what it was on. The tank filler unbolted from the sede of the tank, so I just fabbed a plate to bolt on over the old filler hole. welded mthe gas door in the side of the car, had the tank boiled out at a local readiator shop then welded a filler neck into the top of the tank. It wasn't that hard, and it makes the people who pump gas crazy :) I have pics but have no way to post them, and the car is once again spread all over the garage.

Mopar69: I kind of figured you were a little younger then me. I don't think you can do it with 'the' stock tank, maybe 'a' stock tank, but as Chaparral2f said some modifications will be necassary. All those GMs had a rear filler configuration. Maybe with a little snooping around in the bone yard... As far as reinforcing the rear panel, you're going to have to make some kind of tunnel up over the filler neck anyhow to sepparate the passenger compartment from the tank.

Chaparral2f: I see you've got the pit bull motto for your signature... hehehe... words to live by! I tell people at work that (about myself) all the time.

• Like 1

The red car is Mayolives' Turbo 280Z "RedBird"

Here is a pic of my fuel cell install... My car is not done yet.

fuelcellstrapfittingtop.jpg

I have mocked up this install and I found that I could cut the original filler neck shorter. Then I install it... spun 180degrees so that it points towards the drivers side. I can then clamp a connecting hose between the tank and the filler neck. It has a downward slope similar to RedBird's filler and seems to work fine for RedBird.

My tank has a pretty sophisticated rollover valve system in the fill plate. I will still cover it up with sheetmetal.

• Like 1

I thought of doing the flip filler door thing but wasn't sure about the support either. I didn't mind the side door anyway , I just wanted a fuel cell that sat centered so I could run dual exhaust so I did it with a cj-5 tank. It is one of the few tanks that actaully fill from the same side as the Z. The rear flip door would be cool and if you didn't need an actal fuel cell an early camaro fuel tank or mustang tank would work. The camaro tank is real low profile but wide.

z_pics_1041.jpg

• Like 1

What kind of Camaros and Mustangs would have the right tank? I dont want paint my car and then If I put in a filler from the back then smooth out the original fuel door.

The other reason was I wanted to do dual exhaust also. Id need a tank that could sit in the middle (let exhaust go by on each side) and have the filler in the middle of the tank to route the filler neck from behind the license plate.

Everything would have to be pretty cheap because my dad is trying to stray me away from changing much and is wanting me to just finish it. I can only finish it once Im Id like to make it how I like it the first time.

Where would the filler hole be on the tank. It would have to be closer to the edge and in the middle so the neck could go strait back to the license plate.

A friend of mine has a 67 mustang and it has the filler at the back. Ill have to go look at it and see what the tank looks like on his.