HybridZ

should I buy this rb20det?

big-phil

I don't think it's really worth it to you because I heard that HP wise the RB20DET is comparable to the L28ET but you're already pushing quite a bit on your engine...

I've considered getting one and making it rev to 10k rpms haha

Upgrade for you would be a mild RB25 at least.

Just my $0.02

Mario

In addition to what veritech said, surely you dont wanna use that big ol' Holset on that little RB, so in your interest, I'll go ahead and hold on to your Holset for you..... I'll keep it warm for you until you need it again....

Seriously though, Id grab the RB.. theyre cool motors and not seen all the time...put some oil in the cylinders and cover it up in your garage.. you'll figure out a use for it.

At a minimum, its a kick-a conversational piece while you and buddies are drinking beer in the garage...

"The auction includes a harness that has been cut, i'm not sure whether it is usable or not. It appears that one of the four or five plugs that go into the computer was cut off, it may or may not be usable i'm not real sure. There is NO COMPUTER, however these are easily found on ebay as well."

Hmm.

Try getting spares too :D

Might be a good deal, but not complete. After sourcing all the parts you need, you would probabaly spend alot more than you think it would be. I been in a 240z with RB20DET and it was fun, but it felt like the same ammount of power my engine was pushing or possibly more. Although a RB20DET in a 240Z for other purposes does sound fun :D.

When I installed my RB20 I bought a bunch of go fast goodies to make up for the lack of displacement. Found out my HKS cast exhaust manifold w/ a t04 doesn't clear. I am happy with the RB as I got it on a deal as well but be careful when spending money on parts to boost the RB. I will be taking my car back to Japan, so adding in the RB will make it easier on me parts wise when I get back. L series parts are more expensive there by far. Bottom line $300 bucks I would grab it.

If it were me I'd steer clear of that auction. No info on the actual state of the motor (it spins and doesn't stink, so what) and does not accept PayPal so no consumer protections. Sounds like a scam to me and you'll end up with an RB20 block full of garbage parts.

Wheelman

Stay away. Once you bought all what's needed to have it running (stock) it'll have cost you more than a complete RB25DET + the tranny on the RB20 is ridiculously fragile compared to the RB25.

Plus, as others have already said, YOUR engine would suck that puny RB20 trough it's big Holset and spit it out the tailpipe without missing a beat. LOL.