HybridZ

Coilovers for 280zx

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im almost done with mine. ill get pics within the next few days. I used S14 stuff and I had to cut about 2.75" out of the lower mount because S14 rears are longer than S13 rears. the fronts are going on with S13 spindles/hubs and Z32 sloted rotors and calipers. bit of an upgrade from stock. I had to make an adapter for the ball joint and Im using early 90s maxima ball joints. long story. oh and Ill have to get a longer tie rod, but thats it. its all bolt in with no modding done to the car itself.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey mack i was reading the old thread about the coilovers. How did it come out? Do you have pics of the setup yet?

Im almost done with mine. ill get pics within the next few days. I used S14 stuff and I had to cut about 2.75" out of the lower mount because S14 rears are longer than S13 rears. the fronts are going on with S13 spindles/hubs and Z32 sloted rotors and calipers. bit of an upgrade from stock. I had to make an adapter for the ball joint and Im using early 90s maxima ball joints. long story. oh and Ill have to get a longer tie rod, but thats it. its all bolt in with no modding done to the car itself.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Can anyone tell me where to buy or who can supply a front and rear shocks and lowering spring set for a 1981 280zx 2+2?

This is a street car, I want a firm but not hard ride. Will be using 15x7 and 15x8 wheels, 0 offset. What I have in mind is lowering about 1-2 inches, 175/200 rates (this is about 50% stiffer than stock), perhaps little more but don't want too hard (200+) for a street car. Would prefer Bilstein shocks. I think the OE replacement part numbers for the Bilstein sport shock is Front: P30-0069 and Rear: B46-0057 but I cant find them in the US. Unfortunately it appears the Tokico HP 255 kit is not adjustable in the rear and the slightly stiffer than stock. GC may be too stiff, so looking for something in between and a good quality that can be modified/adjusted. I know a custom coilover kit can be made with Koni yellows, but then I heard the Koni's are not ideal, they are race shocks and for a street car may be too hard. I have no technical knowledge or experience to compare one shock to another, need advice...

• 2 months later...