HybridZ

Coilovers for 280zx

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I can only get the rears?

No you can get both - have a look on the top of the page from that link I posted. These are weld on just like most of the coilover for S30. It is not like the S14/15 etc where you can buy a complete strut with a coilover on already :( sorry on the fronts you need to cut/weld or at least some will have to (take it to a good suspension shop etc)

i have seen fronts on ebay. and i heard from my friend Xander that Dave at arizona told him he was making sets, or at least has proto type done.. drop him a line !

ive emailed him and he told me some 280zx parts will be coming out shortly... i want some coils, adj tie rods and ends, lower control arms like for the 280z and that be about it oh and swap steering racks..

ive emailed him and he told me some 280zx parts will be coming out shortly... i want some coils, adj tie rods and ends, lower control arms like for the 280z and that be about it oh and swap steering racks..

yes all those things that the s30 has that no one carred to consider for the s130 would be nice

S13/S14 coilovers can be fairly esasily modified for duty in the 280ZX. thats the route Im taking. Rears are a bolt in, except for the top mount. SX has 2 bolts, ZX has 3. easily fixed with a drill and a few studs.

fronts will be a bit trickier, but not really. take your old front strut tube, cutt it off, weld on a threaded pipe that the SX coilover will thread into and viola, done and done.

I just got my S14 stuff in the mail and Ill have pics up soon.

S13/S14 coilovers can be fairly esasily modified for duty in the 280ZX. thats the route Im taking. Rears are a bolt in, except for the top mount. SX has 2 bolts, ZX has 3. easily fixed with a drill and a few studs.

fronts will be a bit trickier, but not really. take your old front strut tube, cutt it off, weld on a threaded pipe that the SX coilover will thread into and viola, done and done.

Hmmm, any walk throughs on this. I have a buddy with a 2+2zx and he really wants coilovers.

Lots of 510 guys install 280ZX front struts on their 510s to upgrade the brakes and get a shorter strut and more available choices of inserts.

My last 510 had a set of 280ZX front struts. I had to remove the lower spring perch then grind down the area where the weld was and then installed a set of coilovers from Dave Turner Motorsports. I didn't have access to a welder so I bought a set of clamp on collars from Dave turner that the bottom of the threaded collar rests on.

Ground control along with some of the eBay cheapy coil over kits will work fine too.

91_cutting_the_perch.jpg

(hacksaw or grinder will work)

92_rust_in_cut.jpg

when you see rust in the cut you are through the perch. Don't cut into the tube.

93_free_the_perch.jpg

then free the perch.

All these photos are from a 510 guru (Kelvin) see his entire photo section on strut shortening at:

http://www.datsun510.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=3098&ppuser=9

If you don't have access to a welder Dave Turner sells a clamp on lower collar that the threaded collors will sit on. Sorry, no photo but i used it for several years with no problems. One nice thing about this is you can adjust the lowest setting while on the car and get the right stance without having to tack it, see if it right, cut the tack, adjsut it again, etc.

If you want to go even cheaper, get a set of muffler clamps and throw away the u-bolts and buy some straight bolts and nuts that are long enough to go all the way through them.

992_clamp.jpg

991_finished_product.jpg

Before you all start bashing this as unsafe, many 510s and other cars have used this method for many years with track days, autocrosses and street use without failure. If you are worried, don't do it.

The Dime Quarterly did a product review of the Dave Turner do it yourself Coilover conversion. The review will soon be available on their website under product reviews. I have the actual article in one of my back issues. It is a well written article and has pics of the set up and also shows the clamp on collar witch is much better looking then a set of muffler clamps. I can fax it to anyone that wants to see it. PM me.

Oh yeah, the Dave Turner coil over kit was about $200 for both front struts and about $30 for the clamps.

The front struts on a 280Zx or 510 simply take the "universal coil over" kit. Ground Control is the easiest supplier. The lower perch is replaced with an adjustable sleeve. "Standard" 10" or even 12" 2 1/2" springs are used. A special upper adapter is needed, either one that reuses the original rubber bumper thingie, or a solid aluminum plate and sperical bearing can be adapted.

The ZX rear stuff is a factory "coil over" although it is not height adjustable as the term has come to imply. The lower mounting loop is rather oddly large and a rather special base is needed, but otherwise there is nothing special there either. The same adjustable perch as on the above front may be adapted easily. I would expect Ground Control has all the stuff, they just don't advertise nor sell on ebay type deals.

The Z cars all have different, more difficult suspension and popular fitments and get a lot of various "expert ebay" options to talk about.

Guest Bulletproof-Z

Exactly like what Mack said, "S13/S14 Nissan 240SX coilovers can be fairly esasily modified for duty in the 280ZX. The rears are a direct bolt in, except for the top mount. S13 and S14 Nissan 240SX has 2 bolts, 280ZX has 3. But it can easily be fixed with a drill and a few studs."

Check out this link and use the same concept he did. But instead apply it to a Datsun 280ZX. http://www.redz31.com/pages/coilovers.html I hope this helps.

Here are the S13 Nissan 240sx and Datsun 280ZX shock and strut specs I got off of the Monroe website.

89-94 S13 Nissan 240SX

Strut Body Type: SS2

Strut Length (Inches): 14.75"

Compressed Length (Inches): 15.125"

Extended Length (Inches): 21.500"

Length Traveled (Inches): 6.375

79-83 S130 Datsun 280ZX

Strut Body Type: SS2

Strut Length (Inches): 14.5"

Compressed Length (Inches): 17.375"

Extended Length (Inches): 21.750"

Length Traveled (Inches): It did not list what the length of travel was, but hopefully a 280ZX owner can help chime in.

I know Cosmo racing sells a kit on ebay and a datsun 510 setup that should fit the 280zx front. That I can link to as

I have been looking into this for a while as wel but with my z31 5 lug swap I needed to go a different route

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DATSUN-NEW-510-FRONT-COIL-OVERS-COILOVERS-SPRING-SET-2_W0QQitemZ160104375364QQihZ006QQcategoryZ6763QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

2839_2.JPG

so use these for the front and generics for the rear ..

NOTE this will need some adapting and stuff..

OR you could adapt a set of s13 coil overs (Teins or whatever)

• 2 weeks later...