HybridZ

Any Key Starts My Datsun???

JustinOlson

So I went to fire up my 280z today. I accidently grabbed my girlfriends spare ford probe key instead of the 280z key. I go to start the car up and it fires right up. I had no problem starting and driving my 280z with the ford probe key. This really scares me. Does anyone else have issues with worn out ignition locks that will turn over with any key? I need to rig up a hidden switch when I rewire this car.

Justin

Guest l28et

Eh, it happens. Just a wire some kind of hidden kill switch, etc. I dont think this happens to the door locks, and who is going to know/assume your ignition is so worn any key works? The cars ancient, if someone wants it bad enough, theyll take it with or without a key.

:D

My ignition is also so worn that it will accept just about any long key (like my old Nissan Sentra key) ... it's on the long list of things to do, but you can try to start my car with the real key, but like L28et, you have to find out how to disable my kill switch :wink:.

Guest TeamNissan

My old beater integre would start with a screw driver lol. Like l28et said though the car is old as hell. It takes like 30sec to rip the cover off and splice the wires, dont even get me started on the door locks. My tool box is tougher to break into.

I think it would be pretty cool to make a bank of 3 position switches that are wired such that they need to be in a certain configuration before the car will start. But you'd still ultimately only have one wire in, and one wire out...I had started to work with my cousin who's going to school for engineering on rigging up an NES controller with some kind of electric lock so that you'd type in a certain button combination ( up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, b, a, select, start for instance) to either open the door or start the car. I think there's a market for it, but we never got anywhere. It's probably not even that hard to do, but we never went past the talking about it phase.

The NES controller sounds like an awesome idea especially with a car with lots of A/V upgrades.

I'm thinking of going with the keypad idea. I remember finding a kit that was ~$40, just mount it in the center console with a covered start button next to it all "Transporter" style haha

Mario

up down left right up down left right a b a start lol 99 lives in contra. Eched in my mind for ever.

haha i stil have that code memorized too haha. that game was awesome. about the key thing yea i can take my key out with the car still running haha.

well since the idea of key switches came up. anyone used an OEM switch off of another car or a universal one in they're z? mine really needs to be go soon.

Guest TeamNissan

Ya the z32 is REALLY easy to do that with, the wires too. Just three together and it starts right up... so sad lol. Prob why my n/a was stolen.