HybridZ

What do you guys think?

With gas going back up to 3 bucks a gallon, I'm thinking of getting a small economical car. My only requirements was that it be RWD and a datsun of some sort. (something I might want to hybridize someday)

Well I found this on Ebay, what do you guys think? Should I go for it>

(I instantly had dreams of putting my L28ET in that thing and a V-8 into the Z..look at all the hoodspace!) EIther that or a KA swap....or maybe a V-8 would look good in there?

It's a 1983 200sx convertible. It's amazing the coupe which was so fugly actually looks OK as a convertible....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1983-Nissan-Datsun-200-SX-Convertible_W0QQitemZ320101487195QQihZ011QQcategoryZ6395QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Oh yes, if you think I should get it please by all means chime in with ideas of what to do with it if I win it!

The L6 would be a bit tight in there, but a VG from a 300zx goes right in.. :icon54: or a 302 mihgt be nice.. heh heh..

I had an 85 200sx hatchback and I loved it. One of the best cars I ever owned actually.. reliable as heck, pretty peppy, and good milage from the 4 cyl. (I had a 5 gear in mine, I'm not to find of the nisan autos from the 80's...) I always wanted to put a turbo V6 in it, but sold it before I got the chance.. :( That one looks almost mint too!

I drove it today....it drives as good as it looks. Yes it has a few problems, like it needing a new top, but that top is decent enough to keep out (most) rain.

That Z22 is indeed peppy. I used to have a 720 with a Z24 but that was years ago, those little Z series motors obviously were designed for forklifts or tractors.

The powerband on it is like a friggin diesel. Drop the clutch at idle, yes it will buck a bit but won't stall. Floor it and you might get 4200rpm under load. (which is OK the Z22 apparently thinks it's a tractor motor..powerband is like from 500 to 4800rpm...I looked it up peak torque on this engine is at 1800 Rpm!) - Z22 -

Years - 1981 - 1983

Horsepower - 98 @ 4800 RPM

Lb/ft Torque - 117 @ 1800 RPM

Can you say 'boat anchor'?

1/4 pedal will get you to 70 slowly, but effortlessly (like a diesel engine, not fast but with relentless strength)

full throttle will also get you to 70 slowly, but effortlessly...:)

Rev it in neutral? Vr r r r r oo oo m.

Release the clutch too hard at 900rpm? Tire chirp and no bucking.

I really like it. The only aspect of the S110 coupe I didn't like was the roof and the ragtop takes care of that nicely.

I hope the bidding doesn't go much higher because it's approaching 240sx vert territory.

Yes, the chassis is flexy to the point of being comical, but it's a cruiser. (despite the thick reinforcement that almost makes it look like a full-frame car it's still flexy as a rope and board bridge)

Where else are you gonna find an 80's car with LAP BELTS?

Mini Cooper S model gets almost 40 MPG on the highway. Their turbo diesel version gets that in town and reportedly over 60 MPG on the highway.

That's what I want. A nice economic diesel run around town car for the wife to drive. For me, eh I'm putting a 3.54 rear in my 5 speed ZX. If I can ever find a T56 and get adapters from Jerry at ZRaceProducts my 77 will get good mileage when I'm done with it as well.

Diesel,if you hav'nt noticed,cost more than reg. unleaded nowadays.Hard for me to see the economy there.Ask me how I know?(I have 2 diesel Mac Tool trucks).Fuel is KILLING ME!.Not to mention,diesels run like poo,smell bad,and are REAL expensive to repair.(and nobody knows how to diagnose or repair them!).Other than the sheer longevity of a WELL maintained long block,they just dont have much going for them right now.I dont even think the mileage offsets the fuel price difference.Stick to an efficient gas or gas/electric.You'll be happier in the long reun!

Diesel,if you hav'nt noticed,cost more than reg. unleaded nowadays.Hard for me to see the economy there.Ask me how I know?(I have 2 diesel Mac Tool trucks).Fuel is KILLING ME!.Not to mention,diesels run like poo,smell bad,and are REAL expensive to repair.(and nobody knows how to diagnose or repair them!).Other than the sheer longevity of a WELL maintained long block,they just dont have much going for them right now.I dont even think the mileage offsets the fuel price difference.Stick to an efficient gas or gas/electric.You'll be happier in the long reun!

67 MPG won't offset the cost difference?

If it gets 67 mpg all the time,you got me! but it wont.ever.And it still smells like a bus station.

They are suppose to get 67 on the highway and 40 in town. They average something like 600+ miles to a tank of fuel.

BIG draw back is 75 HP, 133 ft-lbs of torque. But for that type of mileage I would consider getting one for my kids.

Plus if your house uses oil heat you have a readily available supply of low tax diesel.

What's not to like?

Plus if your house uses oil heat you have a readily available supply of low tax diesel.

What's not to like?

The fines and jail time? Here in NE you can go to prison if you are caught running tax free diesel (farm diesel) in a street vehicle.

That convertible S11 200SX is way too exotic to be a daily driver. The soggy weather and winters in PA will have that thing rusted in no time, not too mention the convetible fitting poorly and needing to be re-done.

NOT a practical car, but VERY cool none the less. I would love to have it as a SR20 candidate.

Devil-Z - beautiful S11...daddy likey...love the coilovers in the rear!

Yasin

Flame away all you want guys, but the Datsun/Nissan L6 is not an economical engine.

Scottie, not flaming, agreeing, but with a MS and some really scary tuning (My L28ET runs 17.5 AFR's on the highway cruise) I can get an honest 30mpg out of it. I know that's nothing compared to today but it can be done.

I just dont' want to drive it everyday.

slownrusty, I gave up on it, did you see the auction? It's up to over 4k and the reserve is still not met! You could get an S13 'vert for that price! (with it's much better-sealing top and much more rigid body)

But I found mine, stroke of luck .

I got a 95 S14 for a grand. It was at a dealer in N. Plainsfield, Jersey and I saw it on autotrader and had to rush to get there, the only reason I got it was cuz the other dude was coming from Delaware. (ha ha!)

It runs and drives, and the body is straight and not rusty, so it's worth a grand.

I have to trailer it home tomorrow since it has no exhaust e:oa

I'll post some pics of it tomorrow.

I need to find a driver's headlight and the corners, plus put an exhaust on it, and it should be good to go!

picsofmebeing009.jpg

picsofmebeing008.jpg

picsofmebeing007-1.jpg

picsofmebeing006-1.jpg

picsofmebeing005.jpg

picsofmebeing004.jpg

picsofmebeing003.jpg

picsofmebeing002-1.jpg

picsofmebeing001-1.jpg

Hmm...wonder what I should do to that Q45....maybe a future "450sx" in the making...

I once again have too many cars....

oh yes here's a pretty boring youtube vid of my driving my suburban (which is struggling, man those Uhaul trailers are friggin heavy) with teh 240 on the back.