HybridZ

think I went a little big on the new turbo

Mack

I swear, it looked smaller in the Ebay ad. Its a VNT turbo off of a GM duramax deisel. I figured since everyone is running Holsets, why not give this a shot with megasquirt as the boost controller. the vanes are controlled with a PWM solenoid.

turbo.jpg

NO! its a garrett! frame is supposedly a T58-ish? but with the VNT or its also called an EVRT turbo, spool up isnt so bad. this is going on my 3.1L frankenstein headed beast.

there was a guy running one on a 2.3T SVO stang and he was getting like 20lbs at 3k rpms.

I was kind of concerned about the fit, but I figure with my Frankenstein head, I wont have to worry about the intake getting in the way. I have that side JUST for the turbo and manifold. tends to free up a lot of room.

from the dyno charts Ive seen,. the Ford PSD 6.0 and chevy 6.6L deisel engines equipped with this turbo are making well over 300lbs/ft at only 1500rpm. so, that means that they are making boost pretty low so, take my 3.1L gas engine with 4 valves/cylinder and I should have NO problems spooling by 3k rpm, even with a .90 exhaust A/R!

is my logic flawed?

In regards to the Varible vane turbo.... has anybody had any problems with vane failure due to EGT's?? It was my understanding that the reason they have not had variable vane technology until recently (this year I believe) was due to the higher gasoline exhaust temperatures...which were were too much for the materials used on diesel unit.

I emailed a guy about a few monts ago regarding a turbo set-up I saw on a forum. He had an SVO mustang and claimed 20psi by 3000rpm. this was his original post............

Well, someone had to do it. So I (we) did it. Many thanks to Mike Krader for many hours and machine work. Here's the details: It's a GT3782VA, which is a GT37 turbo with variable geometry and an 82mm turbine. This is commonly known as an EVRT turbo used on the 2003+ Ford 6.0L Powerstroke diesel. How does it work? Well, good and bad. For a T58 frame size turbo, it spools fairly quickly. I can control it to almost choke off the exhaust to get it initially spun up, and see 20 psi boost at 3000rpm. Then I back off the vanes to where it needs to be. It is a bit slow in transient response for the street, but may be ideal for a drag race (especially an automatic) situation. Control is via a +12v PWM signal. Many commercial boost controllers could probably run it with a small circuit added to handle the 3.5A of current the VNTCV (VNT Control Valve) solenoid requires. I now have about 1000 miles on the setup. It works well, and has had no reliability problems, even with EGT's exceeding 1700°F. Yes, I know it's high, but 16psi at 7500rpm is so much fun;) So, I know, you want to try this, how do you get hooked up? Well, first be aware that this is not for the faint of heart, and certainly not for those of you who want a packaged bolt on with no frills. For the required adaptors, Mike is the man, and I can put you in touch with him. For the turbos themselves, I might be able to help you, as I seem to have a few. This turbo is not ideally suited for such a small engine as the 2300 on the street, but a 4.6/5.0 might do very well, or an all out drag racer will certainly appreciate the airflow this thing is capable of. Pics: GT3782VA on my SVO (http://www.ndperformance.com/projects/evrt/)

I am going back to a conventional turbo, but then, that will be on the new 16v engine (wink, wink, nudge, nudge). My car sees 100 street miles per day. It's not a drag racer. But to those with the means and the patience, the potential of this turbo is there. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

I emailed him asking a few questions

hello, i saw tht you have done some work on VNT turbos

in the past, I hope this email still works!

I am contemplating installing one of these on a

specail 3.1L DOHC nissan I6 engine and I am going to

be running MegaSquirt EFI with ignition and boost

control as well.

I am wondering how many miles you put on your ford

2.3L and also how much HP this turbo is capable of

supporting. any info you can provide me with would be

GREAT! Do you still have some of thses for sale, by chance?

and this is the response I got... this was before I bought my turbo off of Ebay for $125 shipped to my door, lol

I put about 17k miles between the two different types of turbos (small

and large turbine). They are capable of at least 550hp. EGT's were in

the 1500-1700° range, and no problems. I have three turbos left. Two

small, and one large turbine. The large and one small have a threaded

insert (1/2" NPT, IIRC) in the oil drains of the housing, to make

plumbing

it easier. Both were on my SVO, with more miles on the small turbine

than the large. The other small is brand new, never run. If you'll

buy all

that I have left together, I'll sell all three for $1000 + shipping (a

steal).

They weigh 42# each.

hope that helps a bit, but probably not, lol

• 2 weeks later...
I was kind of concerned about the fit, but I figure with my Frankenstein head, I wont have to worry about the intake getting in the way. I have that side JUST for the turbo and manifold. tends to free up a lot of room.

from the dyno charts Ive seen,. the Ford PSD 6.0 and chevy 6.6L deisel engines equipped with this turbo are making well over 300lbs/ft at only 1500rpm. so, that means that they are making boost pretty low so, take my 3.1L gas engine with 4 valves/cylinder and I should have NO problems spooling by 3k rpm, even with a .90 exhaust A/R!

is my logic flawed?

The thing about diesel engines, is they don't rev very high in the first place, and at 2-3000RPM's they are spewing more exhaust through the turbo than your 3.1 at 5-6000RPM's.