HybridZ

Pull Through Carb/Turbo HELP, PLEASE.....

mindcrime

I was recently visiting The Datsun workshop (http://www.geocities.com/row4navy/) and noticed his section titled "What's new, aka recent updates" and found this dated April 26, 2004: (http://www.geocities.com/row4navy/rb26swap/72Datsun.html). I also noticed that this cool fella lives in Georgia (a few hours from here in TN), and that he is in the NAVY, and it takes a while for him to answer his emails (I sent him one about THIS pull through carb/turbo setup). I also noticed that the intake manifold says "Tom's".....second pic.....and did a Switchboard.com search on a "Tom's Performance" to no avail.

turbo1PULLTHROUGHCARB_b.jpg

turbo1PULLTHROUGHCARB_b2.jpg

I have TWO turbo engines (P90 heads), ready to be BUILT STOUT, in addition to my stock '78 engine that finally needs overhauling. I am currently adding a BW T-5 from a Turbo ZX (given to me FREE!), a 13.5 lb flywheel from Arizona Z Car (haven't purchased that yet, because I'm waiting to see if the clutch kits are 240mm or 225mm), and I purchased TWO of these (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190101578010) clutch kits for the time being.

My "goal" is to have at least 300 rwhp, and 400 would be even nicer, however I would like it to be a daily driver (of sorts) and completely street legal. BTW, it will be FULL roll caged by the time I am finished.

Could ANY kind soul give me some info on where to get a similar setup, or who to call, etc., etc.??? Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I am quite mechanically inclined (and my best friend is a certified Porsche mechanic, and 4.0 gpa Grad from UTI in Phoenix, AZ.), however fuel injection overwhelms me.:icon_frow

THANKS IN ADVANCE, from a Hybrid Z Newbie,

Jeff

Y'all can thank Big-Phil for me being here. I watch all his Youtube vids!!!:-D

Hey Mindcrime, welcome to HybridZ!!

I think that is a "Turbo-Tom" setup. I believe they were somewhat popular in the '70's before the L28ET came out.

Rule #1 is to always search before posting (this site and Google, etc).

Is this what you're after?

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=117512&highlight=turbo+tom

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=105095&highlight=turbo+tom

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=115672&highlight=turbo+tom

Since they are now defunct, I think you'll have to go about finding a used setup...notice there isn't any place for an IC to go...

Also do a search on "Wangan Midnight" on youtube...I think that is a tripple Mikuni draw-through turbo setup.:P

See ya around, -Hugh

hughdogz, THANKS SO MUCH for that info---looks like I have LOTS of reading to do!!!!! :2thumbs:

I DID actually do a search here on pull through carb/turbo setups here, however it's kinda HARD if you don't actually know what they are called or manufactured them in the first place.:lmao:

THANKS also for the info on YouTube about "Wangan Midnight" as I would not have known to check that out either!!! :cool:

Highest Regards for the HELP,

Jeff

if you're skilled with a welder you might be able to make something along those lines. check out this http://www.turbocity.com/default.php?cPath=62 . its for a VW but the concept is what your talking about. you might be able to fab the piping using the stock manifolds. run a Y pipe from the turbo to your SU manifold and you got it.

I havn't tried this nor have I done any "real" research to see it this would work or even fit.

best of luck,

chris

The wangan car is a twin turbo Blow through. I'll see if I can find the vid, its cool to look at no matter what your acctually looking for!

This video shows the car and close engine shots. If you search this website you should be able to turn up pictures of the real car or at least info on the turbo setup, if your interested.

hughdogz, THANKS SO MUCH for that info---

Highest Regards for the HELP,

Jeff

Here it is!! Check it out...:

That is the "REAL-deal" I actually have this PS2 video game...

...if anyon can beat stage 3, YOU are my HERO!!

Here's a "fluffy" Sarah McLachlan?? remix version: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1711402364984666279

I recently purchased Corkey Bell's book "Maximum Boost" to really dive into the technical aspects to designing a turbo engine and on page 102, I noted a particular pull-through setup that looks interesting. Kinda looks like a Turbo Tom backwards. The engine behind the turbo and carb setup, looks like an engine that many of us (myself included) have grown to love. :-)

Here's the Pic:

drawthroughfrombook.jpg

Sorry, Jim died around 20 years ago, but his wife Sandy is still running the business.

Actually, there are people who attended the 95 Atlanta National Convention who will SWEAR they talked with Jim Cook at his booth. They will describe him as a larger man, with a beard, personable, though somewhat embarrased to talk about racing exploits.

Not that I'm disagreeing that he indeed did die some time before the 95 Convention. But sometimes it's just best to smile, shake people's hands, and try not to let your embarrassment show over their expression of 'reincarnation through omission'...

I recently purchased Corkey Bell's book "Maximum Boost" to really dive into the technical aspects to designing a turbo engine and on page 102, I noted a particular pull-through setup that looks interesting. Kinda looks like a Turbo Tom backwards. The engine behind the turbo and carb setup, looks like an engine that many of us (myself included) have grown to love. :-)

Here's the Pic:

drawthroughfrombook.jpg

This looks just like the stuff I have in my garage. Turbo and all. I need to sell it though cause I'm going EFI.

This looks just like the stuff I have in my garage. Turbo and all. I need to sell it though cause I'm going EFI.

Could you give me some honest background on the setup, as in how it ran and all. I am starting to lean (no pun intended) towards an EFI setup, but as mechanically literate as I am, electronics (except high end stereos) are out of my league.:icon_frow PM me a price, and some pics if you don't mind and I will consider the purchase.

I WISH someone would develop an EFI supercharger, or a turbocharger that comes with EVERYTHING to bolt it right up (injection and electronics), and idiot proof instructions. Give me close to 15 psi of boost, preferrably 20! I'm willing to PAY, IF it is easily bolt on and easily tuned!!! :icon_frow

Why 15 psi of boost, or 20? The JCR setup formerly was a complete setup, now they separated the components simply because NOBODY (but you) seemed to want the components as a package, each person haveing their own preferances as to what EFI setup they wanted to install.

As for idiot-proof instructions and easily installed, easily tuned---what is wrong with the JCR setup for $8K complete? The SC portion is only $3400, and then EFI adds that again to the mix when it's all said and done. If you got $8K, you can have what you want.

I really don't see the point of the question given those realities. A simple pulley change puts the JCR kit right to 17psi---Laverne Burkhardt has been running that setup for 12+ years now that I know of, and probably longer.

When dealing with imported high-performance parts for a vehicle that has been out of production for more than 30 years, there is (out side of the VW Realm) very little spooner-friendly kits. Unfortunately you will have to expend some effort to get what you want, rarely if ever will things just land on your doorstep and be exactly what you want. Life's like that.

Could you give me some honest background on the setup, as in how it ran and all. I am starting to lean (no pun intended) towards an EFI setup, but as mechanically literate as I am, electronics (except high end stereos) are out of my league.:icon_frow PM me a price, and some pics if you don't mind and I will consider the purchase.

I WISH someone would develop an EFI supercharger, or a turbocharger that comes with EVERYTHING to bolt it right up (injection and electronics), and idiot proof instructions. Give me close to 15 psi of boost, preferrably 20! I'm willing to PAY, IF it is easily bolt on and easily tuned!!! :icon_frow

let me help you out alittle...

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=99330

I wish I knew how it ran, but I don't because when I bought the car there was no motor in it and everything I have for the motor is in 6 crates. Lol. I have another interested party, but I'll let you know. I need to go get more pics of what I have for it anyway. -Dustin