HybridZ

Walked by another Mustang Cobra

Maybe some better cylinder heads (195 afr's) and a slightly bigger cam will get you into the 320 rwhp range (low 12 at 115). Then spray a little 125 shot of n20 for a true 420rwhp Z which should get your car into the mid 11's at around 125 mph. That should be enough to beat most cars and is at the limit for Z axles and half shafts......

So with these times you stated .. are these guesses or are they in your car with no traction .. (just a question .) the speeds ya have i run and i have way better times at 125 i am in the upper 10 sec range and always low 11 with the 115 to 118 mph speeds..... thats with a small drag radial and no gears or larde stall.. if ti is in a z that is set up right ...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not guesses. These are et's and traps that I have run in my car.

Traction was not too bad but shifting slow with a weak T5 slowed the car. 0-60 ft in the 1.5 range with MT drag slicks.

My best time was 10.7 at 134mph with 175hp shot or 11.7's at 120 on the motor. 6.9 1/8 mile at 110 on the bottle. With an automatic times would be better. Running N20, I was only getting about 5 or 6 passes before breaking something in the rear (r200, 3.90 gear).

Guest Gr8White
Ford's s/c V8 is the best/only good thing they've ever done.

I beg to differ, especially considering that the 5.0 liter Mustang launched the late model performance craze and is viewed by many as the 55 Chevy of the new performance era. The fact that you "hate" Mustangs in itself says that they have done enough "good" to merit your hatrid towards them, otherwise it wouldn't be worth the effort to hate them! That's a pretty narrow mindset. I'm a Mustang guy (5.0L), but love my 280Z and am in the process of converting it to an LS-2. Why? Because it's a fantastic engine with a good aftermarket following. Brand loyalty is fine, but stating that Ford has done nothing right other than the supercharged s/b (which isn't a small block anyway) is simply not true. Ever driven a side oiler 427 Cobra?

OK, I'm ranting- but both Ford and Chevy have done some great and incredibly stupid things in their time, but you can't take away the good simply because you don't like them.

Back to the thread, Ford has notoriously underrated all of the new Supercharged modular engines from day 1...My 01 Lightning put 376 hp to the wheels absolutely bone stock and was rated at 380 flywheel hp. A chip, exhaust, air raid intake and 3lb pulley netted 440 hp untuned and over 500 ft/lbs. of torque. The problem isn't making the power, it's keeping the internals from coming apart on these modulars! The rods and crank are the weak link.

... Brand loyalty is fine, but stating that Ford has done nothing right other than the supercharged s/b (which isn't a small block anyway) is simply not true. Ever driven a side oiler 427 Cobra?

Some of us think even brand loyalty, or even country-of-origin loyalty is NOT fine. That's why we keep these parts of arguments out of the posts on HybridZ (if we are following the rules, anyway). It's all tech here, no purist whining, Chevy vs Ford, etc. We speak from facts, and if we don't have the facts correct, we welcome others correcting us so we can all learn.

Funny you mention the side oiler 427 Cobra. My neighbor has a REPLICA 427 center oiler Cobra, and refused to put Japanese branded (Toyo or Nitto) tires on it since it was a (copy of an) American Icon. So he spent twice as much for tires of equal performance and quality that were an American brand. Same guy has HD motorcycles and makes sure all the parts he BUYS for it are made in the US. This is fine, it's his money and his choice. And sometimes we make choices based on things other than what is technically adequate, best, or the best financial deal.

Not guesses. These are et's and traps that I have run in my car.

Traction was not too bad but shifting slow with a weak T5 slowed the car. 0-60 ft in the 1.5 range with MT drag slicks.

My best time was 10.7 at 134mph with 175hp shot or 11.7's at 120 on the motor. 6.9 1/8 mile at 110 on the bottle. With an automatic times would be better. Running N20, I was only getting about 5 or 6 passes before breaking something in the rear (r200, 3.90 gear).

Now see i can't seem to take the times you state as truth as your 60 foot times are in the 1.5's as you say... and you have great mile an hour .. those times don't match the speed or 60 foot together.. my 60 foot is not as good as yours and my speed is lower as well but my et is better.. and i actually am at a 2740 foot elevation ..not saying ya didn't really do those times with the speed and 60 foot .. but i am at a 6.75 in the 1/8 at only 103 with a 1.68 60 foot so less speed than you you and not as good a 6o foot but quicker.. hhhmmm

Thanks Pyro et al. I like hearing about the weaknesses. Traction issues and keeping the internal together. I also noticed that the guy driving the cobra would shift alot earlier than I. Probably about 1000rpm sooner. I also like hearing about what the ooponents might do to remedy their weaknesses. That way we can look for things in th negotiaion.

I knew li'l ole 350 would not hang with the same cubes with forced induction. So like you guys said the next option would be spray or forced. The only other option is to pick on someone your own size. Good thread!!

Guest Gr8White
i've yet to see one that can really hook from a dead stop on a street race...

You haven't run up against one with a solid 8.8 swap and good tires, yikes. I have a buddy with an 03/ whipplecharger with about 650 RWHP and good internals. This car runs HARD into the 10's at better than 130 mph and idles like a kitten. 60' times in the 1.45's and will drag most street cars like a kite in a hurricane, from the dig or not. The real problem is weight. As mentioned in this thread they are real pigs...his car with a cage is over 3800#......Take 1K off that and you have an instant 9 second street car.

You haven't run up against one with a solid 8.8 swap and good tires, yikes. I have a buddy with an 03/ whipplecharger with about 650 RWHP and good internals. This car runs HARD into the 10's at better than 130 mph and idles like a kitten. 60' times in the 1.45's and will drag most street cars like a kite in a hurricane, from the dig or not. The real problem is weight. As mentioned in this thread they are real pigs...his car with a cage is over 3800#......Take 1K off that and you have an instant 9 second street car.

I have to agree here... I'm myself piloting a 600CranK HP car and I can tell you that ME getting it to launch would make for GREAT YOUTUBE footage to Laugh at... :lmao:

Not everone can launch a hi HP car, or make it hook up, even with the best of suspensions...

Mike

light cars + huge power = usually funny as hell to watch.

...although... huge power + large geared final drive on street tires = funnier...

i wish i still had that video, some guy at the local dragstrip back in highschool with a 5.0L Mustang trying to stick 500rwhp (or so he claimed) to the ground at 4,000rpm on street tires.... made some pretty smoke though -lol lol-

Gr8white, please forgive me and let me clarify. I'm not a Ford hater. I do hate it when stock Mustang DRIVERS think because they put flowmasters on their relatively small, low horsepower engine they can beat anything and that their cars are "fast" (similar to the rice metallity). I'm hardly impressed with their 4.6l and 5l engines (stock). Of course you can make anything fast I appreciate anything that someone has take the time to modify. I'm just saying that in my lifetime the best (really only) high performance step Ford has done from the factory is supercharge their V8 which I think is awesome. This is simply my opinion and should be taken lightly.

Guest Gr8White
I have to agree here... I'm myself piloting a 600CranK HP car and I can tell you that ME getting it to launch would make for GREAT YOUTUBE footage to Laugh at... :lmao:

Not everone can launch a hi HP car, or make it hook up, even with the best of suspensions...

Mike

What I failed to mention here (and a big omission!) is that the car has also been converted from a T-56 to a 4R70W 4 speed auto w/ transbrake out of a Lightning. He has a 3800 +- rpm stall and 325/15 M & H drag radials when stalking on the street. I have personally seen this car yank the wheels on the street and hooks hard. The 315/17 555R's that he normally runs around with are toast though....The Nitto's will not hook in that car, even with the taller tire effectively lowering (numerically) the gear ratio. I believe he runs 3.55 gears, but I'm not sure on this. If it wasn't for the cage it would be a serious sleeper. 60's with the nittos hover in the 1.6 range. He shifts at 6800 I believe as well.

ICEWTR,

I'm just reading the numbers off my time slips. I have no need to lie about it.

The difference with my car is that I use a T5 5 speed and drag slicks. I use a brake line lock to hold the car on the line and use 5000 rpm lauches with a little clutch lease before dropping the clutch to take up the drive line slop. This just about pulls the front wheels off the ground. Then I shift the trans very slow so it doesn't blow up. The slow shifts is slowing the et down. I bet I take almost a full second to shift and perform 3 shifts during the run. GM T5's are weak and don't hold up to power shifts. They are only rated for 300 ftlbs of torque and the car makes about double that with n20.

My engine makes about 450hp at around 6800 rpm plus I'm adding another 175 hp with N20. This comes out to be about 500hp in a 2700 pound car which makes the 134 mph just about right. Not all cars are the same, a lot of other things effect et. Just becuase your car does this or that at the track doesn't mean all cars will do the same.

Guest Gr8White
Gr8white, please forgive me and let me clarify. I'm not a Ford hater. I do hate it when stock Mustang DRIVERS think because they put flowmasters on their relatively small, low horsepower engine they can beat anything and that their cars are "fast" (similar to the rice metallity). I'm hardly impressed with their 4.6l and 5l engines (stock). Of course you can make anything fast I appreciate anything that someone has take the time to modify. I'm just saying that in my lifetime the best (really only) high performance step Ford has done from the factory is supercharge their V8 which I think is awesome. This is simply my opinion and should be taken lightly.

LOL, I wasn't offended and appreciate the explanation nonetheless. It's funny, when the LS-1's first came out in 97 or so- many of my fellow ricestangers thought the same about the Camaro/Firebird guys....

You know, I think it's one of those things where a new car comes out that is pretty hot, a few kids gets their hands on one and all of the sudden it's "Holy $hit, I've got a rocket!!" The stories of how this car beat that car start and the legend snowballs from there. Pretty soon every kid with a LS-1 (or Mustang, etc..) thinks that they can run with anything since that is what they hear and since they have no real point of reference other than mom's Camry, which explains why they think they have a rocket. It seems that every new hot performance car gets a following with the same mentality.

The SRT-4 guys are the same way....They get a few lbs. of boost and a blow off valve and they are ready to take on anything. If I still street raced I could have retired on raping these baffoons by now!!

The more things change....