HybridZ

Sooo weld in or bolt in the Autopower bar?!

I have the same one. Bolt it in. I suggest removing the thin harness bar behind the driver seat, and replacing it with a tubular harness bar welded across the rear most vertical tubes. Position it so that it lines up vertically with the harness slots in your seats. The way it comes from Autopower, the driver harness bar is to thin, and gets in the way of seat movement. The passenger seat doesn't have a good place for harness attachment. Do it now before you get it mounted in there. I know it is supposedly SCCA approved, but that driver harness bar is has got to go.

• 4 months later...

sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but i was just searching through to see if anybody was using the autopower roll bar, and well i did have another question for jon concerning the cage. i already have a S&W 8 point cage, but me being an idiot welding the main hoops cross bar straight across with no bends, now i'm 6' 3" so thats just not going to work. so, if i buy this main hoop and incorporate the weld in S&W cage i already have should i then weld in the bolt it hoop?

I would just put in a bent section around the driver. Here is what I did for mine:

DSCN1670.jpg

DSCN1671.jpg

Here is my thread about my cage: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=102715. I used the best info I could find from guys like katman, johnc, 74_5.0L_Z, tube80z, and others to come up with my end result, but I'm not exactly the go to guy on this stuff. This is the first cage I've ever done. These other guys can offer you more experienced advice than I can. Since you asked though, I would avoid trying to make the Autopower work with the S&W because the hoops are probably not in the same place, or at the same height, so I think you'll end up doing a lot of "adjusting" to make it work, if it would at all.

Don't grind any welds on a roll cage or roll bar. The tech inspctors like to see the qaulity of the welds and a ground weld is almost a guaranteed failure and you won't be allowed to run on the track.

You can cut the bar out, carefully grind the bead off the main hoop and diagonal, and weld in a curved bar. Just don't grind any welds once you're done with the fab.

Don't grind any welds on a roll cage or roll bar. The tech inspctors like to see the qaulity of the welds and a ground weld is almost a guaranteed failure and you won't be allowed to run on the track.

You can cut the bar out, carefully grind the bead off the main hoop and diagonal, and weld in a curved bar. Just don't grind any welds once you're done with the fab.

hmm..thats the problem it's a straight bar so even a careful grinding off of the welds would still be pretty obvious considering the curved bar would be welded on the back of the main hoop. thanks guys