HybridZ

Tokico Suspension Problem / Suspension Techniques - WARNING TO BUYERS!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey guys,

I have the Tokico HP (blue) struts & lowering springs installed on my S30. After I had the tires rotated and balanced, I now have a hard rattle coming from (only) the rear passenger side that sounds like the strut is loose. I can't see this being caused by the tire place as the car should be able to 'hang' while the wheels/brakes are worked on--would this be a result of improper installation of the strut or spring? Could the spring have got twisted somehow and not seated properly?

Thanks,

mister

• 1 month later...
maybe you got the late 260 set? ive got the same set and it goes good as some bumb steer but im very happy

I don't think so as I'm sure I got the right struts (don't recall the nomenclature); we jacked up that side and all seems well with the strut & spring but I can't exactly duplicate the noise while off the ground. It seems to be getting worse now and rattles even on smooth roads--very annoying.

I'm disappointed in myself for not researching enough before installed as now I think I need the bump spacers. Doh!

I don't think so as I'm sure I got the right struts (don't recall the nomenclature); we jacked up that side and all seems well with the strut & spring but I can't exactly duplicate the noise while off the ground. It seems to be getting worse now and rattles even on smooth roads--very annoying.

Probably a loose gland nut, or the gland nut tightened against the strut housing before clamping down on the strut insert. I had that problem with a Tokico Illumina when I first installed them in my Z. I had to add a washer under the strut to shim it up so that the gland nut tightened down on the insert instead of bottoming on the housing.

I'm disappointed in myself for not researching enough before installed as now I think I need the bump spacers. Doh!

Bump steer spacers only require two bolts per side to install. You'll need to reset your toe afterwards. You can do this yourself with a tape measure. Maybe have a buddy hold the wheel dead straight while you make adjustments.

Probably a loose gland nut, or the gland nut tightened against the strut housing before clamping down on the strut insert.

This seems the most logical and will try and check it tomorrow night or this weekend and let you know (I'm falling behind on the honey-do list and wife's patience is wearing thin :().

Thanks!

This seems the most logical and will try and check it tomorrow night or this weekend and let you know (I'm falling behind on the honey-do list and wife's patience is wearing thin :().

Thanks!

Well, I finally got around to making an appointment tomorrow to drop the car off to the guy that installed the struts for me. He's a good mechanic (I work w/ his wife) and pretty meticulous and doubts this is the problem and has already made it known that if this is not the problem I have to pay him for his time.

I'm pretty sure Jon is spot on as this has been progressively getting worse and the rattle seems to be isolated to the right rear strut tower. My hearing is not that good so I plan to have my son go for a ride with me tonight after work and press his ear against the tower (inside the car.. ha) to see if it is indeed coming from there. The car has been parked for the last couple days `cause I'm afraid it may be doing damage(?) and besides, it's unbearable for me to see/hear my baby ailing. There was nary a squeak or rattle on the whole car before the struts were installed and had the tires rotated.

If Jon is correct, my theory is when the car was up on the lift w/ the wheels off and suspension hanging, maybe the gland nut slipped (if hung on the tower) at that point and not seated on the strut insert properly(?).

If Jon is correct, my theory is when the car was up on the lift w/ the wheels off and suspension hanging, maybe the gland nut slipped (if hung on the tower) at that point and not seated on the strut insert properly(?).

On mine the strut just needed a shim, it wasn't about the strut shifting. The manufacturers try to make the strut inserts and strut housings the right length, but if they're off a little bit, then you might have this problem. It's not an assembly error, other than the assembler didn't know that it was an error and add a shim.

The thing to note is that the strut insert should be fit tightly in the housing, sitting on the bottom of the housing and the shoulder of the nut should not tighten all the way down to the housing. You want a thread or two showing on the nut, as that will tell you that the nut is not bottoming on the strut tube.

It's not an assembly error, other than the assembler didn't know that it was an error and add a shim.

The thing to note is that the strut insert should be fit tightly in the housing, sitting on the bottom of the housing and the shoulder of the nut should not tighten all the way down to the housing. You want a thread or two showing on the nut, as that will tell you that the nut is not bottoming on the strut tube.

Ok, thanks! I think I got it so excuse my ignorance as I knew nothing about this subject--I only do simple sh-- like oil change alt swap, tune up, etc. I'm pretty good at applying graphics though! ha

Probably a loose gland nut, ...

That's what is was, a loose gland nut. I guess the noise is gone now (talked to his wife) but haven't seen the car since 5p Sat. Left 4 or 5 messages for him to call me; even got a reported sighting of the car last night around town w/ 2 people in it. Flattering considering he's got a hot Evo 10 as his DD. I guess he's checking out a couple other things I mentioned but didn't approve any additional work on the car. :mrgreen:

Thanks Jon!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have Eibach prog springs and tokico blues. When I got the springs I needed to call MSA to find out witch ones were for the front since they looked just the same. Before that a friend sold me the the MSA springs and we could not tell also the difference front or back we intall them anyhow and the car did not ride well it wonder on the road. all these spring the hight was the same and looked the same, well Eibach were different on the coils. to me it was easy to make the mistake to put the rear at front. The MSA has stikers that fall off. That is why I bought Eibach I was tired of the guessing game.

I installed Tokico HP shocks and springs on my stock 240Z -70. They were bought a couple of years ago, and been waiting for this project.

The rear (non-progressive) springs are fine, but I have the same situation with the front (progressive) springs as mentioned earlier in this topic. Can I use them or should I buy a set of other springs?

SDC10452p_thumb.jpg

SDC10453p_thumb.jpg

I installed Tokico HP shocks and springs on my stock 240Z -70. They were bought a couple of years ago, and been waiting for this project.

The rear (non-progressive) springs are fine, but I have the same situation with the front (progressive) springs as mentioned earlier in this topic. Can I use them or should I buy a set of other springs?

Ok, I read the topic again. Should have read more carefully the first time, sorry :oops: So it's normal that the first coils on progressive springs are compressed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i had the illuminas on a 71 with i believe eibach springs.never had an issue.but then again i didn't drive it real hard.i have noticed on all the some of the 240's i've owned.that on the freeway the front end felt like it was in a tug of war match.it tended to pull slightly side to side.thanks for the write up guys.gave me some valuable info.

For me if I could find them, and If I was to do it all over again I would used Pace Setter springs thats going back to the 70s my other alternative is ST springs. now for the struts you guys are going to flip out when I say this. I am old back in the day when Gas shock and struts were the new thing everybody wanted KYB so Gabriel came out with their add showing the had 50% more gas then KYB. I had gabriels on z some of my z ( have several and had several ) you could not tell what I had, so I would use Gabriel with pace setter. About the S30 wandering on the highway it could be one of the two, it could need to be aline or if you have a 240Z you need to put hood vents or in pection lids with vents. Datsun saw the problem and that is why the 77/78 came with vents on the hood I forgot how much punds of pressure is with vents and with out but you will feel the difference.:burnout: