HybridZ

Look at this guys "Eagle" rods

Guest 240zxfanatic

Dang, I geuss some people just have all the luck. A guy in my Z club scored a 83zx turbo motor for 51 bucks on ebay. Its in good shape the seller just forgot the reserve price. haha:grin:

Can you point me to info showing why they are called "cheap crap"? Just wondering.

-Bob

I've read several threads where they are called that. Remember, these are mostly bench builders who don't know what the inside of a RB motor looks like.

I'm just passing along this guys post, thats all.

I just put Eagle Rod in the search on the RB sites. Its all hear say....

Example> http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/73214-max-power-typical-cp-pistons-std-rods-rebuild.html?highlight=Eagle+rods

I choose Carrillo because of their proven quality.

Look, the guy who bought these "Eagle" rods was surprised what he ended up getting (instead, a rod with the Tomei name stamped on it, that cost 5x what Eagle cost) as most people who have posted in his thread are.

I've noticed that most of the Eagle "haters", are guys that have never even seen their own motors rods, much less know what constitutes a good quality rod, from a "cheap" rod.

I'm simply stating what I'm reading here..... Crap, for all I know, my "Carrillo" rods came from there too.... :cuss:

So.... relax guyz, I'm not bashing, just commenting on what this guy posted!! :2thumbs:

I've noticed that most of the Eagle "haters", are guys that have never even seen their own motors rods, much less know what constitutes a good quality rod, from a "cheap" rod.

Well, the guy who received the rods in question was obviously not an "Eagle hater" ( that's you I'm quoting there ) as he thought he was actually going to get 'Eagle' rods when he ordered 'Eagle' rods.

I don't think it is wise to damn all the people participating in that thread as "...... mostly bench builders who don't know what the inside of a RB motor looks like" when one of the major contributors to the thread actually builds RB engines for a living ( and has customers all over the world ). I think there's more hands-on experience in that thread than you realise.............

I've read several threads where they are called that. Remember, these are mostly bench builders who don't know what the inside of a RB motor looks like.

I'm just passing along this guys post, thats all.

I just put Eagle Rod in the search on the RB sites. Its all hear say....

Example> http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/73214-max-power-typical-cp-pistons-std-rods-rebuild.html?highlight=Eagle+rods

I choose Carrillo because of their proven quality.

Well, the guy who received the rods in question was obviously not an "Eagle hater" ( that's you I'm quoting there ) as he thought he was actually going to get 'Eagle' rods when he ordered 'Eagle' rods.

I don't think it is wise to damn all the people participating in that thread as "...... mostly bench builders who don't know what the inside of a RB motor looks like" when one of the major contributors to the thread actually builds RB engines for a living ( and has customers all over the world ). I think there's more hands-on experience in that thread than you realise.............

What ever...

If your going to pull a quote to pick a fight, at least use the whole quote, in context, not just a snip.

As you can see, I stated, " I've read several threads where they are called that. And I gauruntee not all of them build RB engines " Thats what I'm basing my statement off of.

I'm going to agree with J on this one.

I dont think he's trying to get real specific with claiming this instance of the guy's eagle rods brings out all the dummies that think they know it all, rather he's just making a generalization.

If i had a dime for everytime I received engine building advice on the internet, from someone who's never even opened a motor up, I'd have a free car by now. There are just too many 'know-it-alls' out there posting away with no discretion for the validity of their post, and the only justification they have was they read it elsewhere on the internet, or thats what they heard at their cousins, brothers, old-roomates, ex-wives dog trainer's, uncles shop

If your going to pull a quote to pick a fight, at least use the whole quote, in context, not just a snip.

Who's trying to "pick a fight"? Certainly not me. I'm just sticking up for some people that you are damning with what I consider a fairly cheap and unjustified shot. As I mentioned before, some of the people that you are saying "..........don't know what the inside of a RB motor looks like." do actually build them for a living!

And a quote is - by its very nature - a snip. I'm just trying to clarify what it is in particular that I'm commenting on, that's all.

As you can see, I stated, " I've read several threads where they are called that. And I gauruntee not all of them build RB engines " Thats what I'm basing my statement off of.

Sorry, but have you quoted yourself correctly there? LOL.

Surely the most pertinent and interesting point about that thread is that it calls to attention the possibility that both the 'Eagle' and 'Tomei' rods ( as well as other known brands ) are forged in the same factory in China? It could also be the case that the same factory also machines these forgings for the companies concerned ( but to what extent is still unclear ) and this would throw new light on the word-of-mouth bad rep that 'Eagle' rods have obviously been given, don't you think?

If you actually want to stick up for 'Eagle' ( even though you personally use 'Carrillo' ) then I would have thought pointing this fact out might be a good start? Or is this actually a "look at these idiots" type of thread?

All of us can learn something from threads such as the one you linked to, and I don't think casting aspersions on the thread's participants helps anybody to learn anything. You seem to have missed the whole point of the thread. Do you see where I'm coming from?

I've actually visited 'Tomei' in person, and it is absolutely no surprise to me that some of their rods are manufactured in Chinese foundries - although I'm fairly sure they do a certain amount of final processing and QC in Japan. They will openly admit that they are too small a concern to have their own foundry, and that they have parts made for them by outside companies in other countries. HKS, even though they are exponentially bigger than Tomei, do the same - although possibly to a lesser extent. When I visited the HKS factories in Japan I was actually surprised at the amount of stuff they made in-house, but I was not surprised to see blank rod forgings being brought in by the crate ( presumably made outside Japan ) to be CNC milled in-house either.

I think there's a whole other sub-plot that could be discussed here about the possibilities of people being fooled by inferior quality Chinese-made goods. Some of them have quite possibly been branded with trusted names like 'Eagle' - so you have to wonder what will happen to the reps of certain companies when fakes of their product are earning them a negative reputation. When I see ARP rod bolts in a Chinese-made rod, I start to worry whether they are real ARP rod bolts!

If i had a dime for everytime I received engine building advice on the internet, from someone who's never even opened a motor up, I'd have a free car by now. There are just too many 'know-it-alls' out there posting away with no discretion for the validity of their post, and the only justification they have was they read it elsewhere on the internet, or thats what they heard at their cousins, brothers, old-roomates, ex-wives dog trainer's, uncles shop.

I agree. But unfortunately no forums or websites are immune to bad information, are they?

Alan T.

When I was in Hong Kong last year, everywhere I walked people would come to me and say "Copy bag, copy watch". They would then show pictures of the expensive designer handbags and watches.

Labels mean nothing unless you know for sure who is backing the product. Quality control is a big issue in China. Any business that wants a good product from China will have to have a stringent Quality Control program.

If anyone wants to import and sell their own name brand rods, here is where you could start.

http://www.tradekey.com/selloffer_view/id/54673.htm

got my cometic hg today and after reading this i was really hoping to open it and find the tomei one. i guess i shouldnt have been dissapointed at all to find the cometic. Stupid thread getting my hopes up and all...:-D