HybridZ

RWD 4G63 setup

dosquattro

At first I was thinking of using a FWD SR20 and use the L-series adapter plate but found this.

http://www.japaneseauto.com/mitstoyotatransadaptors.html

Allows you to mount a W-series transmission onto a 4G63. Only thing you need to do is flip your throttle body to the other side of the plenum. No distributor to worry about and these engines can take a beating. Not to mention parts are everywhere for them and usually cheaper then a SR from what I found. Tuning can be done with a SAFC or a DSMlink setup which basically turns your ecu into a standalone. No need to use a weak mighty max tranny Dodge D50 tranny. Not to mention the supra tranny can hold quite abit of power and you just use oem parts to make it work. No custom stuff beside the bellhousing.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out projectzerog.com. It's basically the only living RWD 4G63 forum. I've already got my 6-bolt 4G63T torn apart and ready for a mostly stock rebuild to go into my '78 280.

Bill Hincher is the name of the guy that makes those bellhousings and he spends a lot of time on the Project Zero G forum. He's quite the machinist/fabricator and a very cool guy, at least on the internet :) . The bellhousing he's finishing up now (just got his first two casts from the casting company) allows the MKIII Supra Turbo tranny (R154) to mount to the 4G63. I, along with others, have bugged him about making one to work with a WC T5. He's looking into it but needs a spare tranny to work with.

Next on Bill's list for the the RWD 4G63 community is a cast top mount T3 exhaust manifold.

There's more fabrication and pioneering with the 4G63 in a Z than I'd really like, but that's the price I pay for wanting to be more different. Once it's all figured out, it will be a killer setup (good performance, parts are super cheap and reliable, and the motor weighs at least 150lbs less than the L28 - suprisingly, the 4G63 head with cams and sprockets weighs in at 52 lbs... quite a bit and about the same as the L28 head)

There's more fabrication and pioneering with the 4G63 in a Z than I'd really like, but that's the price I pay for wanting to be more different. Once it's all figured out, it will be a killer setup (good performance, parts are super cheap and reliable, and the motor weighs at least 150lbs less than the L28 - suprisingly, the 4G63 head with cams and sprockets weighs in at 52 lbs... quite a bit and about the same as the L28 head)

What kind of obstacles are you running up against? Are they the basic RWD 4g63 obstacles like the therm housing and CAS/firewall clearance issues, or datsun specific issues?

Curious as i'll be doing this swap very soon...

thanks..

dd

I guess it's how close you want it to the firewall as like you said the thermostat housing points out the rear and the CAS is pancake flat so I wouldn't see an issue with that. Just making a new housing would be fairly simple. I think using a 4G64 block from a mid 90's galant would be a nice setp also with .4L of added displacement. You could still call your S30 a 240Z cause a 200Z just don't sound right. lol. I'm almost tempted to just stop working on the L28 and start on this setup. I've got a Galant VR4 already so it'd be nice having another 4G in my Z.

What kind of obstacles are you running up against? Are they the basic RWD 4g63 obstacles like the therm housing and CAS/firewall clearance issues, or datsun specific issues?

Curious as i'll be doing this swap very soon...

thanks..

dd

Having never done a motor swap, I'm going to run into the "basic" problems such as motor and tranny mounts. I haven't done anything to the car yet (just driving it with the stock L28) and the motor is just being refreshed.

There are no kits for RWD 4G63 setups of any kind I'm aware of - they're all one off jobs basically. Buschur does have some RWD stuff (way overpriced) but hardly anything that's a kit.

Basically, here's the list without much explanation:

- engine/tranny mounts

- speedometer cable

- driveshaft

- cooling setup

- fitment of engine between firewall and crossmember with regards to front sump oil pan and the thermostat housing which is at the back of the motor. I don't actually expect to have any insurmountable issue with this, but a mid- or rear-sump conversion would rock - sumps are harder to design remotely correctly than I previously thought.

As you can see, these are hardly huge issues (most are common for any swap) and this will be an easier job than many motor swaps; I basically let it overwhelm me rather than taking it one little job at a time.

• 3 months later...

Interested in updates. I seriously like the idea of an RB25 or RB26 swap, but to be honest, I have owned 4G63's including EVO's and dollar for dollar you can make the 4G63 holler just as much if not more. I have owned 500 whp pump gas EVO's and it'd be a very nice setup for my S30.

I'm still waiting to buy my bell housing and tranny. I have the long block, all electronics and a modified intake manifold. I just had my son so the project will be progressing a little slower then before. Not to mention without the tranny and bell housing, I can't mount the engine.

• 1 year later...

ProjecZeroG.com is a great source. The key to this all is two words: "Bill Hincher."

I was going the RWD 4G63 route but wussed out and grabbed a 2JZ instead; I had already bought the engine, custom bellhousing and the R154 and had already figured out what all I was going to do. Sold everything 4G63 but kept the R154 to use for the 2J.

Still, I'd love to see a 4G63'd Z. It's already been done in a 510. Do it. Do it.

When I first got my Z I thought about doing a EVO IX MIVEC into it. Considering how easy it is to do 400 on pump with bolt ons, it would make a great street car.

True, but there isn't a way to rear wheel drive it yet. Well, last time I looked a few months ago, there wasn't even anything to mount up an automatic RWD tranny. Also, the USDM EVO 4G63 engines (especially MIVEC) are retarded expensive. I was going with an old 1st Gen 4G63 because I nearly got it for free.

Would the Conquest/Starion tranny work or is that a AWD setup too. For some reason I thought the engine was the same.

No. The older narrow block 4G63's have a different pattern and other as compared to the newer EVO 4G63's. Try this for some info on early 4G63 tranny options, though: http://www.projectzerog.com/transmissions.shtml

True, but there isn't a way to rear wheel drive it yet. Well, last time I looked a few months ago, there wasn't even anything to mount up an automatic RWD tranny. Also, the USDM EVO 4G63 engines (especially MIVEC) are retarded expensive. I was going with an old 1st Gen 4G63 because I nearly got it for free.

Ya, the EVO stuff is still somewhat expensive, though have I seen entire IX engines going for under 3K$ Considering you can get a 2JZ or RB for under that, it makes it tough to go that route. And like you said, there aren't any mounts or adapters, you'd have to custom fab everything up. Its doable, just not the easiest thing choice. The regular 4G would be the best way to go. You can mate that up to a Conquest trans very easily.