HybridZ

homemade powdercoating oven

jonus079

i know i heard it here somewhere but i cant find it anymore. anyone doing thier own powdercoating with an old oven? a friend of mine has a uncle who owns an appliance shop and throws away old ovens by the dozens, not cause they dont work, just cause they have an outdated look.

anyone know if it possible to make your own powdercoating oven? or did i just imagine seeing a thread somewhere?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

heh, no problem at all! I plan to build one myself and did lots of research. One of the biggest things is the insulation you use for your oven. Most suggest you use mineral wool which is safe to 2000+ degrees F. meaning no catching fire and keeping heat where it's suppose to be.

yea, that is true which is what i'll be doing. My old oven will get torn apart and put into a new shell. The only issue with that, is it takes longer for the oven to actually reach it's desired temp, unless you put more elements in there.

Guest TeamNissan

Yep, and its also harder to keep it AT the desired temp unless you build the shell the right way. Its not the easiest thing to do in the world but its cheap and thats the point since powdercoating is such pricey..... I see alot of people offering powdercoating services using the same home made system for top dollar. Its nice to be able to do it yourself for just material cost.

You can also build a box for hte oven to extend it, you lay the door down and set the box on it.. efectively doubling the size of the oven. I just used foil backed insulation board from home depot and some foil tape. Also lined the inside wit hanother layer of foil. It has worked awesome, I can do much bigger things.

-Austin

Guest TeamNissan

Thats not a bad idea hoke.

I tend to advise against heat lamps because you cant control the temp at all. Unless you mean a heat lamp inside a box and then even still.

They guy I get my powercoat supplies from says there is an "IR heat gun" that will do the job pretty well. I have not looked for one. I am also running into issues with my home oven size. I took the crossmember sway bar and springs in and it was $120.00 to get them back. The idea of adding a box on the the open door sounds good. That would at least let me clear my valve cover. Did you use a structure for the box or just build it out of the foil board?

Guest w00t

I can't wait to order my new oven. 42x48x60! Right now I'm stuck with a house oven :( So a lot of things I do for customers is limited at the moment. Hopefully when I get this new oven I can really expand my business.