HybridZ

G Nose, rear lift?

Same reason the Whaletail lifts at the front. Remember what I've been stressing? Total package. Doing something at one end of the car and NOT doing something of equal value at the other end really causes the aero to do screwy things... The Gnose w/ headlight covers and a front spoiler, along with the whaletail would be a nice combo in my estimate.

Mike

I have the BRE style rear spoiler and the gnose (w/o a spoiler) and that combo seems to work okay. Allan has put me on to a few sources in Jpan for a non-ZF front spoiler which will likely mean I go to a 5-inch version of the BRE to keep it balanced.

This holistic approach to lift and downforce was covered by I believe C/D back in 1976 when they compared several from and rear spoilers.

Same reason the Whaletail lifts at the front. Remember what I've been stressing? Total package. Doing something at one end of the car and NOT doing something of equal value at the other end really causes the aero to do screwy things... The Gnose w/ headlight covers and a front spoiler, along with the whaletail would be a nice combo in my estimate.

Mike

Hmmmmm, you mean like my street car is set up....mowhahahahahaha!

• 2 weeks later...
Just wondering if anyone has made sense of why the Gnose lifts at the rear?

Mike

Hi Mike:

It's not really the same reason is it? The Whaletail exerts down-force on the rear only - thus causing the front to rotate upward. In the case of the G-Nose it seems that lift is increased at both the front and rear - and drag goes up as well.

I think the question should be; why did the G-Nose increase front and rear lift as well as drag, compared to the stock 240-Z tested, when the G-Nose is supposed to do the opposite.

In the Lift and Drag columns, lower numbers are an improvement - (yes/no?)...

Carl B.

Carl Beck

Clearwater, FL USA

The gnose car had 225/50/15 tires, so I'm pretty confident that made a difference in the drag compared to the stock car.

There is probably a lot of room for improvement on the gnose, you could seal the nose to the radiator support, add an air dam, add headlight covers, etc, like we did with the other car, but we only had so much time to work with.

John

Sometimes I get in a hurry, and "assume" everyone is following me... Carl, You're correct in that the whaletail increases the "lever" effect and puts pressure on the rear, overcoming the front BRE spoiler, where as the GNOSE increased both. However, the Gnose should have (And most likely would have) done the exact opposite if it had the items jt1 mentions above done to compensate for those 'frontal" drag related problems... Then you'd have had the exact same scenario as the rear whaletail, except on the front of the car, with the rear "lift" increasing.

Mike

Hi Mike:

It's not really the same reason is it? The Whaletail exerts down-force on the rear only - thus causing the front to rotate upward. In the case of the G-Nose it seems that lift is increased at both the front and rear - and drag goes up as well.

I think the question should be; why did the G-Nose increase front and rear lift as well as drag, compared to the stock 240-Z tested, when the G-Nose is supposed to do the opposite.

In the Lift and Drag columns, lower numbers are an improvement - (yes/no?)...

Carl B.

Carl Beck

Clearwater, FL USA

That gnose doesn't look like its extends into the nose of the car as much as the original style 5 piece one does.

The lower tray on the 5 piece extends all the way into the nose right up to the lower radiator support (or very close to it), stopping a lot of air leaking out under the car.

I cant really tell from the photos so I could be wrong, but it looks like the gray part ends about 4 inches into the nose, and i cant tell what that white part is behind it.

Tedderscarbeingstrappedin.jpg

An original style gnose:

zgnose_thumb.jpg

Guest TeamNissan

Idk if its dif then all the others people may be using but its most def dif then the one in the attached pic.

The lip on the kit looks like it only goes back like 4-5 inches where as the one in the attached pic goes ALL the way back.

Well John bought the car "ass-is" with the nose installed. We have no idea what was modified by the previous owner. That said, It looks identical to the unit I drove to Atlanta to buy and that Les Heath took and never returned.

Mike

posted by Mike Kelly

Well John bought the car "ass-is" with the nose installed

Yup, that pretty much sums it up!!!!!!!!!

There's some history behind the gnose car. We thought we were going to have a gnose to test, then it became obvious we were not due to complications. The, about two weeks before the test, I passed a moving sale in a nearby community. Among the stuff being sold was a pristine 69 vette, a 350/350 4spd conv., a tricked out Z71 pickup, a nice 300z with a well done 350 swap, the gnose Zcar, and a nice 78 trans am. The guy said where he was moving he couldn't keep all his toys, so all of a sudden we had a gnose to test. That's how it was called "the yard sale Z"

The gnose is a two piece model, and does not extend all the way back to the radiator support. I have no idea who made it or what vintage it is.

It turns out a local member has a set of the very rare, very expensive gnose headlight covers we could have tested. He didn't know we had found a gnose, and I didn't know he had the covers.

John

Tony, YES... Les was in the Navy and spent time in Japan. I loaned him my Gnose so he could make molds and sell them... He disappeared in the middle of me building my garage. He took my Gnose and a one off taillight panel/ rear spoiler combo that I've never seen before.

The guy is a real piece of work...

Mike

I got the last or second to last gnose from MSA and they were 2-piece with the bottom inner lip that doesn't extend back form the front opening more than about 10 inches, which leaves a gap of about another 10 inches to the radiator support. I filled that in and added inner side skirts but will be doing a complete enclosure later this year.

Now I need to get my hands on a non-ZG flare front spoiler......

Mine goes 14-15" back measured from the bottom front opening. From the bumper lip it would be 20" back. It is a 2 piece. The seller said it came from Japan. I can't see the lower piece extending mcuh farther rearward. If there is more room I will glass it back.

1-3.jpg

2-3.jpg

3-2.jpg

Depending on the instal, and the model Z, some folks would trim that panel to fit around the radiator core support lower area. Lots of folks couldn't clear the lower braces/ horn mounts and line the headlight scoop studs up to the fenders at the same time, which could explain why this one looks shorter to you guys.

Mike