HybridZ

R200 diff puking oil out of breather

lbhsbZ

Every time I come back from running the car, I see a puddle underneith the diff. Its coming from the vent. I just swapped it out for another one, and I'm having the same problem. I haven't taken the car out on the road, just doing 120 mph passes behind our shop. Is this normal? i have the fluid filled to the bottom of the fill hole...which is about 2 quarts.

Do I have to modify the vent using a fitting and length of hose to raise it?

Every time I come back from running the car, I see a puddle underneith the diff. Its coming from the vent. I just swapped it out for another one, and I'm having the same problem. I haven't taken the car out on the road, just doing 120 mph passes behind our shop. Is this normal? i have the fluid filled to the bottom of the fill hole...which is about 2 quarts.

Do I have to modify the vent using a fitting and length of hose to raise it?

You are not alone.

Under normal driving, I don't have any issues, but after going to the track, I get a puddle from fluid coming out of the diff vent.

I will be tapping the rear cover, and raising the vent using a fitting next week to see if the same thing occurs.

Well, I was using some cheapo oil from PepBoys with the 3.54 I just removed, and I dumped some Redline 75/90 (all I had at the shop) in the new 3.90 I just assembled and installed. I'm using an OBX diff setup with .005" backlash. Its not getting hot, or even warm really. I make about two 1/4 mile passes and it just drips. Redline is expensive oil to be leaking out. I guess I'll make a new breather.

When this was happening to me, it was due to too much oil in the differential case (my determination). Even though I was only filling the case to the oil hole, the rear of the car was jacked up so high that in reality I was over-filling the case. So, one day I unscrewed the filler screw, set the car down on level ground, and let the oil dribble out until it quit on its own. It was not very much oil, but I never had the oil blow out the breather ever again after that.

HM, interesting....I filled mine on the bench...dumped 2 quarts in and then set it down level to drain out the excess.

In looking at design of the vent on another cover I had, it looks like the ring would sling oil almost straight at the vent, and there is no baffle on it...just a tube with a few holes in it. Maybe I'll try to make a baffle.

Does anyone know the Factory spec for diff lube capacity? (yeah, I know....I should search for it)

In looking at design of the vent on another cover I had, it looks like the ring would sling oil almost straight at the vent, and there is no baffle on it...just a tube with a few holes in it. Maybe I'll try to make a baffle.

That is what JohnC recommended in previous posts on this topic.

I don't know if Nissan makes a baffle/gasket for the R200, but for the R180 Nissan has a thin metal stamping that went between the diff housing and the cover and shielded the vent from fluid splash. It was used on the 4 x 4 trucks.