HybridZ

hood lift shocks

• Administrators

The S-30 Z cars already have hinge springs which function like lift shocks, are realtively light weight and out of the way. The hood prop is really just a safety when the wind blows. IMO, lift shocks offer nothing over the OE spring set up other than getting in the way while accessing the engine bay.

• Administrators
Something like what you are looking for.

http://store.zraceproducts.com/mountinghardwareparts.htm

Now that is a clever way to do that. I take back my previous comments. Sorry guys. Of all the hood shock conversions I've seen they all have been obnoxiously visible and in the way, so to speak. This converison is nice in that it opens up the area ahead of the core support for intercooler, air ducting for more efficient cooling, and does NOT impede engine bay access.

Thats a nice kit, gives me some good ideas on how to persue mine. Because of the size of my intercooler and in angled mounting, I had to take the hood springs out. Typically I just use the hood prop, it works well, but I would love to replace it with some cleanly installed hood shocks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I'd like to achieve a clean front look through the grill which means removing the torsion bars at the front. I'm guessing people that normally do this simply install a rod to hold up the bonnet. Has anyone sucessfully installed bonnet struts to suit the existing bonnet opening fashion (not ZG).

I had a spare rear hatch strut and was playing around in the engine bay but could not figure out where it would fit.

What are you opinons on this, searching didn't bring much up?

cheers

What year S30 do you have?

I'm not familiar with the Australian S30s but my 280Z has a separate hood prop as well as the torsion bars.

Chris' huge FMIC wouldn't fit until he took his bars off of his 260Z and he's using my 78's prop.

Here's a picture I found on google, it's the rod sitting on the radiator support:

fuelrailcovers050.jpg

• Administrators

There are at least a couple of members who have installed short gas struts in lieu of the torsion bars. Unfortunately, I can't remember precisely where I've seen the posts. Maybe someone will have a link.

Mines a 73 240Z, I'd like to steer away from the hood prop altogether and just have struts if possible. Problem is they normally sit (when retracted) in the channel running along under the bonnet where the guard bolts on but there isn't enough clearance.

Thanks for that, I should've searched 'hood shocks' not 'bonnet struts':mrgreen:

I'd be a little worried about the strength of that ready made kit if the guy can force it closed with his hand how will it support an open bonnet. Oh well, at least I know how people do it now.

Thanks

Thanks for that, I should've searched 'hood shocks' not 'bonnet struts':mrgreen:

I'd be a little worried about the strength of that ready made kit if the guy can force it closed with his hand how will it support an open bonnet. Oh well, at least I know how people do it now.

Thanks

No problem I am sure you can PM that guy and ask him about it but your welcome.

How else would you close it if not by hand?

Nigel

'73 240ZT

Did you look at the link??

The guy pushes the bonnet/hood hinge to the closed position without the bonnet attached, hence there was no bonnet weight to assist in the compressing of the strut/shock. Hence, imagine how easy it would be to close with over a meter of bonnet leverage when it is installed, hence, it would fall on your head.:eek:

For everybody complaining about the strength of the struts. I came up with a great idea. Buy your own struts, of equal length, with a stronger force. You can compress the stock springs like that to, it takes some force. I have done it before so I know that it is possible.