HybridZ

Wide band comparison

Clifton

I was going to buy a innovate wideband for my birthday but was choking on the cost.

Looks to be money well spent.

Note that the Innovate wideband that was tested was the XD-16. Not sure about this particular sub-forum, but many people on hybrid (including myself) use the LM-1, which isn't exactly the same.

I think the main difference aside from the display is that the LM-1 combines the signal ground for the analog output with the heater circuit, which causes undesirable voltage shifts if you are using the LM-1 analog out as your EGO input. This can be remedied with a simple external differential amplifier buffer circuit, but it's just something to be aware of if you are buying new or currently have the LM-1.

i been running the innovate xd16 kit (lc1 controller ,xd1 gauge) for over a year -i like it.i mounted the gauge on double stick velcro between the tach and speedo.the gauge always reads just what the megatune reads.now i get reminded how much i need to tune this thing-but at least it runs at 14.2-14.4 on the freeway and it gets good mpg.the lc-1 is running my ms on autotune function.

• Administrators

Here’s my $.02

Everything I’ve heard and read confirms the LM-1 is the most consistent, accurate, lighting quick response wideband tuning aid, especially for the money.

We are using the LM-1 and the Innovate RPM converter for all of our tuning and data logging. Personally, I struggled a little bit with the Logworks data logging software, (used it on the Race car for dialing in the MSnS-EDIS) but Ron Tyler has been able to use it quite easily and whenever the discussion comes up about the LM-1, he has said nothing but praise for its capabilities, especially the data logging. I place a lot of value in the LM-1s lightning quick response time, even the super subtle misfires registered with the LM-1 right as it happened. :2thumbs:

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lm1.php

It would've been nice if they had included which type of sensor each box used. I have an older FJO that uses the NGK sensor and it proved to be quite durable. Talking to guys using the AEM with the Bosche sensor I was told that it died pretty quickly when exposed to leaded gas - not so my NGK. It was pretty darned accurate when compared with other boxes but pretty dirt simple - just an analog output and a display - no logging etc. which I did via the EMS.

Looks like W/Bs have really advanced though, the Innovative boxes look really nice! I think having the datalogging on the W/B would be pretty nice.

Interesting that others have run into the issues with the ground that I saw on the FJO. Lots of boxes out there don't have a dedicated ground that can be shared with the EMS sensor ground. Doing something as simple as turning on your headlights can cause shifts in A/F reading!

P.S. I'd be REAL careful about budget W/B. I actually had and built one of the DIY boxes but in the end didn't trust my motor with it. Tests like this one are a BIG help and I appreciate that they took the trouble to use calibration gas.

Just got an $800 spot award at work, so the LM1 order goes out this week.

Good to know about grounds, but I don't think the Holley double pumper will care.

Gonna be an odd duck. A carb'd LS2 crate motor with a wideband, data logging O2.

Now all I need to do is find time to work on it.

Well nice test .. glad to see someone did something like that .. to bad i already have one ..lol but hey at least mine came in 2nd ..lol but i do have datalogging as they state it does not ...but i just wired mine into the computer and it picks it up in the lap top with anything else i monitor .. but still cool test .. and the only real way to know what way to go on tuning your car.....