HybridZ

Uh oh I messed up...

80LS1T

I screwed up pretty bad last night. I put my hood latch on the hood last night and I used too long of a bolt for the 2 mounting bolts and now I have 2 small dipples on the outside of the hood:cry:. It didn't crack the paint but its very noticable. Do you guys think something like a "paintless dent repair person could fix this?

Man I feel like a jackass!:banghead:

It can usually be fixed via PDR. But don't feel alone. I did the same thing, but only 1 screw before I realized they were the wrong ones...bitch part about it is I even had the right screws bagged and marked "HOOD LATCH - On Hood". The excitement of reassembly can cause you to do some wierd things. Let your paint cure for about two weeks before you try to get it fixed or the surface won't be hard enough to withstand the pressures exerted on it and it'll leave a mark.

Good luck with it.

Warren

• Administrators
From what I have seen paintless dent removal works best on large shallow dents not small, sharp ones..

It would seem that way. However, the occasions I've used it, were in fact, sharply focused dents, less than .125" dia.

In reality, I suppose it depends on the guy doing the work... just like anything else.

Well atleast there's hope I guess. I didn't even see it until today. Man was I pissed. It didn't even cross my mind that the bolts I was using would be too long because it looks like there is plenty of space between the inner hood skin to the outter hood skin. Live and learn I guess....

Guy

I was wondering the samething. I really hope it's possible because that's my only hope with out having to repaint the whole hood. I'm going to ask the "Dent Doctor" guy next time he comes into my work(I'm a Nissan Tech at the local Nissan dealership). Hopefully he'll have some good news for me!

Guy

Nope, watched a many of them just use their little teflon tools and poke it right back in, still paintless and doesn't leave a mark at all. You'd be shocked at how good "some" of the PDR guys really are. I know I was. I do alot of work at car dealerships and I've watched those guys do some neat stuff...stuff you wouldn't think was possible. I say "some" of those guys because I've seen some real nightmares created by a PDR guy or two who didn't know what they were doing.

• 1 month later...

Well I had the dent-less repair guy fix my screw up today. He did a fantastic job too! The 2 spots are completely gone! The only way you would know they were there is if I told you and you still probably wouldn't believe me! LOL It only cost me $30 too! Money well spent! I'm kind of friends with the guy that fixed my car so he gave me a deal.

He was telling me about some of the cars he's fixed, like a 1956(I think that's what he said) Ferrari Testarossa(sp?) that he fixed for a local resto shop. The car was worth something like $3 million! He fixed it all up with those little sticks and 3 hours of labor! The shop said that if he couldn't fix it that the car was going to have to be repainted! The shop didn't really want to do that because it would have hurt the value of the car substantially. This guy obviously knows what he's doing!

Guy

Awesome! I had one of those dent companies do a car I bought that had nearly 50 dings here and there on the body when I worked at a dealership years ago. Nearly every one of them was gone completely. It pays to have friends with skills :2thumbs:

I know you're a happy man :mrgreen:

Davy

Well I had the dent-less repair guy fix my screw up today. He did a fantastic job too! The 2 spots are completely gone! The only way you would know they were there is if I told you and you still probably wouldn't believe me! LOL It only cost me $30 too! Money well spent! I'm kind of friends with the guy that fixed my car so he gave me a deal.

He was telling me about some of the cars he's fixed, like a 1956(I think that's what he said) Ferrari Testarossa(sp?) that he fixed for a local resto shop. The car was worth something like $3 million! He fixed it all up with those little sticks and 3 hours of labor! The shop said that if he couldn't fix it that the car was going to have to be repainted! The shop didn't really want to do that because it would have hurt the value of the car substantially. This guy obviously knows what he's doing!

Guy

effin SWEET it worked for you!!

and a '56 testa rossa??? droooolllll.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_TR#250_Testa_Rossa

I a half dozen dents popped out of my now deceased subaru, and was amazed as I watched the owner of the shop poke the tools into little holes that I'd not even noticed, managing to pop out the dents far down the body panels.

It was also amusing watching as one of his apprentices was trying out his newly learned skills on another car nearby.

The tricks they use look easy, but I think I'm going to leave any later work along those lines to the professionals, likely the same shop, if I ever need such work again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have about 10-15 hail dents (perhaps nickel size) on the roof of my ZX. I'm going to see a dent repair shop (Denver Dent) on Friday and I hope he will do all of them for a flat fee. I've heard of some people getting a flat fee - any educated guesses on what a fair price would be?

Thanks!

John

Well you can save your self some money by taking out the headliner before you go in, otherwise he will have to do it. The guy I took my car to does stuff on the side for a cheaper hourly rate for cash. See if the guy you are taking it to will do the same, cash talks!

Guy

• 6 months later...