HybridZ

Gas Tank Refurbish - $130 like Brand New - PICS!

slownrusty

Guys - I had huge problems with my '78 280Z when I first acquired it. It had been sitting in a forest for just under 15years and would ONLY run on starter fluid sprayed into the intake.

I changed the fuel pump (bought a new one) and that did not address the non-starting issue...I then connected the new fuel pump to a milk jug full of gas (by-passing the gas tank) and sure enough the car ran like a champ!

So I confirmed my belief that the tank was full of crud and junk. Upon removing it (which is not hard by the way), sure enough it was full of rust, deposits and lots of un-friendly looking things!

Here is the tank when I pulled it:

264276274.jpg

I called around a new tank is no longer available, so I decided to have a local Mom and Pops Radiator Refurbish shop here in town boil it for me. They boiled it in a Caustic Soda bath (tank) for me for 2 days and then pressure tested it for me. It came out looking brand spanking new on the inside...night and day - I am talking whistle or surgically clean! They charged me $115.

While the tank was being cleaned, I blew 115psi of air through all the gas hard lines (where the fuel filter is located) with my compressor and there was alot of crud that came out the other end - Rust and sludge and crud, so I also recommed this for anyone having fuel delivery issues.

I then went ahead and wire brushed the entire tank, prepped it and painted it and at the same I thoroughlly and carefully cleaned the fuel sender (as the gauge never worked). I also wire brushed and painted the gas tank straps and installed all brand new rubber hoses and clamps and the end results:

264276271.jpg

264276273.jpg

264276277.jpg

264276276.jpg

Total cost about $130 (boil and refurbish tank, paint, new rubber hoses and clamps)

Installation back in was straight forward and the fuel gauge now even works. Just thought I would share.

Regards- Yasin

Guest ampb5

I have my 77 tank out and thankfully it is in excellent condition,(california car transplanted and garadged in Massachusetts) I'm thinking of adding a sealer inside. Any thoughts?

Some people have good luck with a kit from POR... I used these guys: http://www.gastankrenu.com/ and my tank turned out great.

I used one of these gas tank re new kits a few years ago when I had my oem tank,and I tell you, you can't beat this kit.

It turned out nice and it even has a sealer for those tanks that may have small leaks.

I recommend this product 100%!!

• 4 weeks later...

as for the caustic soda bath you can make your own hot tank usint a plastic water barrel add 20 gallons of water and use 5 cups of caustic soda or lye and then suspend your tank in it for a couple of days yourself, just wanting to help you guys out with the possibility of makeing your own hot tank for part cleaning just remember not to put any soft(read non ferrous) metals in it!

• 2 years later...