HybridZ

What is this sound deadener called?

Armand

Hey everyone,

I've recently installed fatmat all throughout my interior, but before I put everything back together, I would like to install some additional insulation on the floors, trunk, transmission tunnel, firewall, and doors. Just something that would take the vibrations out and just make everything a bit quieter.

What I'm looking for is a thick, grey, and soft type of material. It's about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch thick, and its just very dense. I've seen it before in cars but I have no idea what its called. None of the major shops online or the local auto stores carry it, and I have no idea where else to look.

If anyone can tell me what this material is called, or if you know something similiar to what I'm looking for, that would be greatly appreciated.

-Armand

Man... that stuff is HEAVY!!!! you might well add 100lbs to your sports car. It is a spartan sports car for god's sake. It is supposed to be loud.

By the time you add soud deadening and a big stereo you will have exceeded the weight limit with a passenger. You can only stick 700lbs in your car.

Add up: Fuel, your ass, passenger ass, spare tire, big muffler, stereo and you are probably at the limit. Sound deadening is going to break the Camel's back.

Get a Merc 300D and stick some subwoofers in the trunk.

Thanks guys, it was carpet padding I was looking for.

bjhines, ya I just found out the weight so there's no WAY I'm adding that much weight to the car. So I guess fatmat should be enough as is. I think once I replace the horrible weatherstripping and plug up some of the holes in the floor it would be as quiet as I want it to be.

yo, dont get carpet padding. instead try this 3-in-1 heat insulator stuff i used. its 3/8" thick fibrous padding with an aluminum film on one side. you can use spray adhesive to install it and its way easier to lay in than dynamat. throw this stuff down everywhere and tape up the seams with aluminum tape.

my website ("damn car" below) is way old and sorta sucks but check out the "day 10" link. it shows my install process. its cheap and lightweight, heat insulates, sound insulates and serves as carpet padding.

heres something similar to what i got: link

• 2 weeks later...