HybridZ

Got my new motor today :)

240hoke

OTM that guy at Zdayz was probably Shariff(sp?) of Forged Performance, if you are talking of hte black car from last year. The motor in that car was completely built. I believe at the time he was putting down 680hp and now has over 800.

I will be using it stock with stock internals for a good while...but when there time comes there is definatly plenty of aftermarket support.

It wasn't Shariff's car. But I think he had the mods and tuning done at forged performance.

It was a burgundy 350.

He said that he was about to build a new bottom end for it because the stock one wasn't going to hold much longer...

Hope your build goes well!

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see people getting some interest in the VQ swap ! You will probably be done before me i just got the motor no tranny form a 2005 350Z cant wait to start fiddeling with it . Too bad i dont have the cash to start building it . Their is a great article on NICO on how to do twins right the first time (turbos you perv's) go check it out its pretty well written .

So where's the old engine going? :D

Such a HZ member, have your car in a magazine... BACK to the garage for more voluntary work.

Guy i know had a procharger put in his 350Z by a well known local shop and about 4k miles later he was passing someone on the freeway going about 70mph running about 3psi at the moment and BOOM!!!!

Luckily they managed to save the block, crank, and heads but much of the rest was toast. So instead of just dumping the car he had the whole thing rebuilt. No problems since but I think he's about a 3.6-3.7 liter now :lol:

I'm REALLY liking the sound of the new VQ35HR. If money wasn't an problem I'd go that route for sure. I'm sure it's just a matter of time till we start seeing 1000hp out of those.

One of the better articles I've read on the motors:

http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/september06/vq35hr/

Prochargers are notorious for destroying the VQ. Turbonetics single turbo is good, other than that you just need to go with a twin system. APS is weak, Procharger will kill your car, and superchargers don't produce a good amount of horsepower for the amount they cost.

I would also say don't spend any money on NA mods, just put in the FI. I drive an 03 350Z and I am still NA and I have Injen intake, Motordyne plenum spacer, topspeed headers, strup test pipes, borla true dual exhaust, jim wolf technology S1 cams, and a greddy emanage blue, and I am only putting down about 280 whp... with the amount I have spent I could have just gone FI at the start and been better off even at low boost.

and a greddy emanage blue, with the amount I have spent I could have just gone FI at the start and been better off even at low boost.

At the ZdayZ tech session Sharrif (and others) was talking about how the greddy blue box does weird things with the spark that could possibly damage your engine and to upgrade to something else.

Gollum: I parted out everything in my engine bay. It was all listed and sold in the Hybridz Classified. I do however still have my Intercooler setup which is still for sale!

240ztt: What made me decide over the LS1? Well several things.

1.) Cost.. the initial motor purchase was much cheaper. I was having trouble finding a good LOW mileage ls1/t56 for less then 4500.

2.) Stock for stock they make the same power

3.) Both need forged internals to take boost

4.) Alot of people wont like this but Its a Nissan motor. I like the idea of having the new Z motor in the car, for me it was more the direction I wanted with the power plant

5.) I didn't wanna just have another LS1 swap. The VQ is something new and hasnt been done but a few times. Hopefully I can well document my progress and help others out.

6.) SOUND and the feel of a boosted VQ.. anybody who has ridden in a boosted 350z knows what Im talking about

Mrpratt: The weak link is the rods as we have mentioned before so different setups will have different torque curves which will blow the motor "easier". From what I have seen NO kit can put make more then 380hp RELIABLY on the VQ... a lot of guys slap on the Vortec kit and run 420hp and it doesn't last to long... when I go turbo, it will be getting forged rods and pistons. Then 600hp is easily within reach.

Bubbles: Shariff is definitly good and has done some great things with the VQ I'm hoping to work with him on internal work. My plan for the car is too make 500-600hp RELIABLY.

Interesting note on Shariff, I dunno if many people remember my 260z wreck... but Shariff was the one in the front that wrecked first LOL. That car is the same one he has now.

Anyway Im getting excited I have two more weeks of summer class and then I am going to be getting a good start on the swap.. Ill keep everyone updated.

Id love the fact that someone could document this swap because its a dead given that this engine is better deal then an RB26 here in Canada and RB26 is 3000$ plus 1500 more for the GTS tranny and then you need to rebuild because those babys dont get good treatment useally . I made a rought cost without labor for a Build VQ35 with Sleeves,rods,pistons two used T3/T4 custom manif. gaskets ARP studs and hardware , clutch kit but no exhaust and i get around 8500 $ and good for 600hp++ easy to make that much on an RB considering the disponibility of parts and tuners that works those engines it would take more to make as much on an RB . 8500 $ can be less if you have good contacts on parts etc. its my 2 cents ... i really think the VQ is the engine made to go in a S30 its new meets old .