HybridZ

so you got this great DEAL on a used torch

Im a HUGE FAN of OXY-ACETOLENE torches and what they can do...BUT, they have some limitations, they are far more likely to get a novice into trouble and start fires than an electric welder in semi skilled hands.

that bargin,your quoted, may or may not be a good deal, and condition of equipment and torch size , thread size, gauges,and accessories mean a great deal.

the first thing Id point out that many residential areas have ordanances that forbid storing oxy-acetolene tanks indoors in a building

next, tank rental fees and deposites on any tank size thats will allow decent welding time between fills tend to be far more expensive than you might think so check into that BEFORE buying a torch!

next, Id point out that gauges that fit the small (HOBBY) tank sizes won,t fit the standard professional tanks thread size.

Im not trying to dis- swade you just make you aware of the total costs.

next Id point out that torches come in differant sizes and types and youll probably want both a cutting and welding torch, and cheap gauges are a MAJOR P.I.T.A. so like most things you get what you pay for.

you could easily have $400 in deposites and $20 a month in a twin tank rental, or $500 in two purchased tanks , and tanks must be re-certified every 5-7 years at a cost of about $40 each or they won,t be refilled

VICTOR IS about the bench mark BRAND in torches

http://store.cyberweld.com/viwecuou.html

http://store.cyberweld.com/vijowecuou.html

http://store.cyberweld.com/cylindercart.html

personally ID suggest you buy NEW torches from the guy you get the tanks from, because youll be seeing ALOT of each other and youll want his advice and good will!! GET the VICTOR torches, theres support and parts readily available to rebuild them easily,and you won,t be having a small chance of getting JUNK that some guys unloading just to get some money from someone hes scamming

EXAMPLE

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=36983

brother in law bought these.....they were JUNK right out of the new box

BTW its very comon to see RENTAL TANKS , out of certification tanks, and deffective gauges and torches in pawn shops and the bargin traders type papers, yes you CAN occasionally get a screaming DEAL, but your taking a big chance on getting a set thats deffective

Often when you start thinking your ♥♥♥♥ don't stink...

I'm been doing some repair work on a 1941 Stearman biplane 52 gallon all sheet aluminum fuel tank. It was welded way back when using a oxy torch and the welds are impressive as hell. I'm using a Lincoln Precision TIG 275 and (I'm not proud to say) I cannot duplicate the quality of the welds done 66 years ago using a flame. Absolutely beautiful work.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Good torches and tanks cost some $$$. I mostly use my MIG for welding but I rent tanks and bought a VERY EXPENSIVE torch for my flameworking. You should see the size of the flame out of my big torch. It'll consume a full size tank in less than an hour. lol

"I liked using the torch better, I had more control."

I had the same experiance,the oxy-acetolene torch has the easily adjustable control on heat and feed because you can change the flame and distance and angle and you control the feed rate on the filler rod seperately & independently and can easily go back and re-heat areas without adding fill rod,thats why youll like TIG, think of it as a torch with an electric flame that you can instantly control the heat with your foot pedal or thumb wheel, and darn little smoke, and most of the same charicteristics, the only reason I didn,t get a tig sooner was COST, but I kept looking and eventually got off my lazy at times butt and found a used one at a decent price

I absolutely LOVE TIG!!!

When I was in welding school I made a great weld just for fun. I laid down on the floor with the weld joint in an overhead position about 2.5 feet off of the floor. I went as slow as I possibly could just to make a beautiful weld. Obviously I was baking the poo out of the metal but I just wanted to show a pretty weld.

One trick for Oxy Brazing is to use a pencil and mark on either side of the joint. Use a straight edge and make is as wide as you want the weld to wick out. The graphite of the pencil creates a "wall" and the brazing filler material will flow right up to the pencil line.

We used Victor and Smith oxy-acetelene welding and cutting and welding gear. Unfortunately I never took the oxy-welding class. Took oxy-cutting my first quarter though.

Here are some pics of me TIG welding (my uglier welds...can't weld with photos being taken.):

b10736546.jpg

Oxy Welds in Aluminum are far more flexible and is the reason they are recomended for bodywork and fuel tanks made of aluminum.

I found that TIG and Oxy welding was very similar. I am a big torch fan, it's very versatile. I end up making work pay for my cylinder refills, since I own the tanks...my BIGGEST mistake was downsizing my O2 tank so it would fit within my service van. Damn, now it has to be replaced 2X before the Acetylene is run out. Get big tanks! I ended up getting a Victor Portable Kit for the van later on, and it works great. Even when going on club outings as a sweeper, having that torch available makes for nice roadside repairs. They dubbed me 'the rolling machine shop'! LOL

I happened to go by the local welding supply store yesterday and just for grins inquired about the cost of a good welding torch and decent 5 ft twin commercial size tanks.

now Im not saying you can,t get a better deal, just that it gives you some cost referance to work from.

decent set of victor torches designed for auto repair with two torches and 6 types of tips, gauges , hoses ETC.

torches $325

tanks ran $330 each to buy

or rental at about $26 a month and $200 deposit each

so rental runs $400 deposit and $26 a month plus the $325 for the torch purchase

to buy the tanks runs $660 plus the $325 for the torch purchase

call it a $1000 or slightly more with taxes

you save about $300 up front to rent but you pay that durring the first year to year and a half , and that monthly charge continues FOREVER ,on a rental.

while its true you have the $400 deposit back if you return the tanks the torches are useless without them so buying the tanks becomes a better long term deal for a shop in some cases.

in either case rental or owner, the tanks cost about $35 EACH to refill