HybridZ

RB engine stand

Careless

so I bought a 1250 lb engine support stand. and the bolts don't fit into the holes on the RB, but the bolts that do fit look to be pretty week for a long iron block.

How did you fasten your engine to your stand? On the FSM, it shows the RB being mounted from the side using two special plates.

My friend has the same engine stand holding up a 350, and it's been there for years. But that's with the bolts it came with. With the bolts to fit the RB, im worried.

attachment.php?attachmentid=2467&d=1172857961

thats the pic i remember from way back when after i commented about being worried about those 4 bolts holding that iron brick of an engine we call RB.

so anyone know the bolt / thread size? i dont have any transmission bolts to compare to.

i used the trans bolts

and if you use new ones just make sure they are grade 8 or higher

that's been established. however, I do not have trans bolts to compare to.

That's why im wondering if anyone has the length/thread pitch

• 2 weeks later...
sorry, i couldn't resist.

aren't people bolting RBs up to L-series trannies and vice versa? of that's the case, wouldn't l-series tranny bolts work as well?

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH,

i just want to know what the thread pattern is if anyone knows it. Aswell as the lenght. I don't have a tap set right now (stolen from a friend's house) and I don't want to take the tranny bolts out of my cars tranny to prop up an engine.

If i had a good reason to hold up my engine with an L28 bolt set, now that I know, I would use it.

but i don't... and this could be information that OTHER people can use if someone would be so kind.........

:fmad:

:mrgreen:

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! :fmad:

someone help me for real, mang!

I use the main cap bolts off the crank. They are 2 3/4 long (may not work for you due to engine stand design) and the pitch is 1.50 metric.

I used a 10mm 1.50 tap to match up the bolt size to....

sorry for the poor quality pics.

click em

dcp0551pl7.th.jpg

dcp0557hh1.th.jpg

wicked. thank you very much people.

I have the main bearing cap bolts for my RB30 at the machinist. And I don't know if i would dare use those on holding up the engine just incase i plan on reusing them. LOL

I hear ya... :mrgreen: I wouldn't either. I just happen to have a few sets left over from swap outs to ARP's.