HybridZ

Let the rebuild begin!

cygnusx1

With the recent discovery of the leaky exhaust manifold gasket, the re-occurance of the hydraulic tick, and now a small oil leak on the turbo center section, I have stepped the rebuild plan up a few notches. It's an unopened L28ET/P90A with 130K miles on it running 15psi for the last 3 years.

I am going to have the head built locally with all the standard stuff. I ordered timeserts and will convert to solid posts from my old L28 motor. I will go with some sort of mild street turbo cam and see if they can clean up some casting marks and unshroud the valves a little when they work on the head.

I will be handling the lower half of the motor providing it measures up OK. Forged Ross pistons, a decent set of rings, new bearings, timing chain kit, and a manual hone, I am going to use ARP for the head and the conn rods. I might just order a lower engine kit from IPP.

$1279 Includes:

L28ET 86mm Complete Gasket Set

Copper Performance Head Gasket

ROSS/Wiseco Forged Performance Pistons

(86, 86.5, 87mm bore) and

(8.5-1, 9.1-1 comp ratio)

Performance Rings

Performance Wrist Pins

TOGA HP Main Bearings (std, 10)*

TOGA HP Rod Bearings (std, 10)*

ARP Rod Bolts #202-6003 (9mm)

TOGA Oil Pump

http://www.importperformanceparts.net/imports/pek-nissan.html

also a TopLine Timing Kit for $129

I will inspect the turbo to see if it needs a rebuild or I might just follow the sheep and get a Holset from ebay.

My goal is about 350-400rwhp reliably using the stock intake/exhaust manifolds unless I find a deal.

Anyone have a blank check I can borrow?

I have Aldos's info so I will touch base with them in a few weeks....I am now researching and collecting parts for the big day. I am going to use the Z as is for another month or so and pull the motor sometime in September. Hopefully by then I should have all the parts ready on the bench.

I was going to grab a notepad to make a shopping list but why, when I can do it here...excuse my mental notes but as you might be able to tell, this will be my first engine overhaul so I have alot of questions for myself. Fell free to throw advice at me or answer my own questions.

Thinking out loud....

Stainless Valves...need to find size info, standard size for P90.

Valve seats...I have no idea wether to replace these or not...I'll let the head builder decide. 3 angle job should suffice.

Valve guides...powder metal or bronze....research required. maybe just get them from Nissan.

Viton Valve Seals...ford capri seals...search HybridZ for part#

MSA Stage 1 turbo cam for P90A converted to P90...so basically I need a cam for a P90...I may look for a cheaper cam than MSA's

Rockers? Last time I looked, the rockers looked good....note:search hybridz to see if they can be reground if needed.

Lash Pads...who the #### knows what size I will need to get the wipe correct....probably wont know until the head gets assembled right?

Head gasket...braaap. braaap. braaap....that's all I can think of but I'm favoring HKS MLS type right now...need to find source and price.

Intake/Exhaust manifold gasket....factory Nissan 82-83 should be a grafoil material according to TonyD.

ARP head stud kit. No problem to find.

Timeserts to convert from hydraulic posts...already ordered.

Solid posts...rob from my original L28 and check rockers.

Valve springs...reuse the factory ones I guess...not going for more than 6500rpms.

Block hone 320grit....need size info...search the web for size, required, vendor, and proper use instructions.

freez-...I mean core plugs, source from Nissan.

Pistons+Pins...Ross, JE, Venolia, AZC...shop around. What diameter do I need? who knows until I check the bores. 8.5:1 compression with a 1 or 2mm HKS gasket?...research required.

Rings, moly would be nice. sources? search required.

Bearing shells for mains and conn rods. size? Must check crank journals first and must match piston pins. Tending towards factory Nissan bearing shells and bushings.

Timing chain kit....easy purchase.

ARP rod bolts. easy.

ARP main bolts. easy.

Plastigage....buy some.

Engine gasket kit...easy

New oil pump...nissan or aftermarket? research.

Exhaust manifold...machine flat and send out for coating.

Turbo, check seal/bearing, send out for rebuild, or buy a TO4E, holset, or something with ball bearings...pipe dreams :wink:

I have acces to precision measurement tools for bores and straightness...no problem.

I havent started yet. As usual, I am doing at least a month of research and parts sourcing before I lift the motor out. I will look into getting the thing ported (or port it myself) but I definitley want it coated jet-hot.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but you mentioned you'd keep up to date with progress. Did you start a new thread? I didn't see one.

Reason I ask is because that seems like a pretty handy kit for when I rebuild my engine with forged internals. Assuming you got it all installed, how did it go, and how does it run (8.5-1 cr?) with your turbo?

If I grabbed that kit, I think I'd do the 87mm pistons for a .040in overbore, which with the "8.5-1" pistons and a 2mm head gasket would put my cr to about 8.16-1 (according to the engine calculator using flat top pistons). I think with that ratio and a good megasquirt tune i'd be able to get a decent amount of boost and power out of a T3/T04E, yeah?