HybridZ

just about done with my turbo setup (hotside)

jonus079

well ive been putting the finishing touches on my engine and turbo system and im just about done with it. just finished wrapping up the exhaust. all thats missing is the oil lines, injectors, fuel rails and some gaskets.

now the body work begins...oh boy.....

866478046_450f65e079.jpg

866478056_b2ab230936.jpg

866478114_ab218171ed.jpg

866478128_71985cf1a4.jpg

866478200_f4a5267807.jpg

866478214_789b70f2d3.jpg

865634285_9db37f6f8d.jpg

865634307_dc9010d0ce.jpg

I see no flex coupler between the two manifold banks, not worrying about the heat expansion cracking flange welds?

Also looks like your belt crosses into the path that will be occupied by your charge piping, unless your going to run a reducer right there to get the room?

Other then that, looks beastly.. what trans and EMS are you gonna do this with?

thanks for all the positive replies, mean alot after all the time i spent.

I see no flex coupler between the two manifold banks, not worrying about the heat expansion cracking flange welds?

Also looks like your belt crosses into the path that will be occupied by your charge piping, unless your going to run a reducer right there to get the room?

Other then that, looks beastly.. what trans and EMS are you gonna do this with?

you know, im actually starting to kick myself for not adding a flex joint but ive seen alot of setups with a similar layout without problems. it also helps that the entire system is tig welded so i dont think cracking willl be a problem. and if all else fails ill just hack a section out and add one.

i also plan on using a reducer right after the TB to make it 3 inches but it will be close. i also plan on using a shorter belt which will help. the belt that is on there now is fully maxing out the tensioner, fully swinging it up. it actually quite hard to get that damn belt on. i figure i should gain another cm or so with a shorter belt.

Looks like you could run an angle cut TB spacer to angle the TB slightly up to clear the belt. What did you have in mind?

Simply ingenious. thats a great idea. if the reducer isnt enough to miss the belt, i may have to got that route.

Jonus,

Is the wastegate hooked up into the exhaust?

Looks great!!! I am going to be using a similar turbo layout to that on my VH45 swap... :-D

What are you going to do for heat protection for the belts?

Looking great!

i havent yet welded that part because im still toying with the idea of using A/C, in which case ill change the entire downpipe layout . ill also wrap the downpipe for some protection and maybe add an aluminum heat deflect for safe measure.

it will clear the hood if you put the engine low and far back. i have some pictures showing them in the link in my sig. the big issue is the alternator which does not clear. im gunna stick with the ls1 manifold cause it fit and looks better, but i have heard the truck intake flows better and gives more torque.

• 2 weeks later...
If you wanna make another turbo kit to sell let me know.This thing is awesome!

i was thinking about making another until i found out how long it actually takes to make a set. no plans as of yet to make another set.

That is what I would put in my widebody/gnose project...........I am assuming that you have gone through the motor and built it to the proper specs.

actually i havent done anything to the engine. the compression ratio on this engine is 9.5 : 1 which i think makes it ok for a while. there are people on performancetrucks.net claiming over 600hp on stock internals without problems. these engines are actually quite good with boost when properly tuned.

for example

http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/showthread.php?t=395971

"we have been to the track 5 times and the dyno 3 times. one trip to the dyno we made 34runs. we have around 150runs on this set up between the dyno and the track. at least another 30 hard runs on the street. at least 50 full runs at full power of around 600rwhp."

"in a stick car i bet we would be over 700rwhp on the dyno."

ive heard alot of good things about this engine in stock form and i dont plan on going up to these numbers. im planning on putting down 400-500hp through a t56. considering that these guys go thier engine from a garage with unknown miles, i think i should be ok. maybe further down the road ill got with forged pistons since theyre only abotu $450-600.

• 2 months later...