HybridZ

Wanted: Vent / Duct Ideas

Datsun350Z

I'm having trouble with one spot on the Z, behind my rear wheels, I need... something.

20519145165.jpg

I looked over a few generic duct products and stuff on ebay, but can't picture any of them looking right.

Anyone wanna throw up a quick sketch/photoshop/product picture that might make this spot look a little less empty? If it includes something complimentary to it in front of the wheels that's fine too.

I don't want to go through the work of totally changing the rear. veritech did an awesome sketch for me a while back, but it's too much work for me to get done this summer. I just want to throw in something quick, work it up, and paint it.

Thanks in advance.

I like the idea of flush mounted side markers...

P1010061.jpg

But what I considered but did not do (although I have most of the lenses for it) was to put 3 flush mounted lenses instead of one on each side. These lenses would be 1" wide and about 4" long and I was thinking of mounting them like this /// where they would blend in properly with the body lines. The other thing you could do albeit only for one side is to replace your fuel door with a motorcycle fuel tank door/cap. Just pick up a complete tank at a wrecking yard use your existing door to mark out where to cut out the motorcycle tank and weld it into the existing hole after removing the box portion inside the car.

Dragonfly

Dragonfly, you read my mind!

First thing I thought about when looking at that photo was "Gas Door"

Change the gas door to something more in line with the rounder lines of the car now---a motorcycle filler cap in a round or oblong configuration would work...or you could relocate it to the top of the quarter or conceal it in the trunk. Hiding it behind a swing-out tail lamp would be a lot of work....but.....

I'd not have sidemarkers on it at all. If it came to it, nothing more than a recessed LED in the "Hirschberg Bulge" below the lighting panel would be as far as I would go.

Motorcycle gas door seems like a nice touch.

What bikes have non-locking tanks?

I don't want to carry an extra key around, those things are heavy...

Good luck finding one that is the right style and is non locking, but a motorcycle key is about half the size of a car key. On my bike the key only goes into the gas cap up to the 2/3rds point on the key so if you find one like that you could shrink the key even more.

I like the LED idea but in reality I think that once the car is painted it is going to look better as a smooth panel with nothing breaking it up.

Dragonfly

Good luck finding one that is the right style and is non locking, but a motorcycle key is about half the size of a car key. On my bike the key only goes into the gas cap up to the 2/3rds point on the key so if you find one like that you could shrink the key even more.

I like the LED idea but in reality I think that once the car is painted it is going to look better as a smooth panel with nothing breaking it up.

Dragonfly

I took a look at my bike key this morning and I guess I fibbed a little bit... it is about half the size of my wifes car key (with key mounted alarm controls) but about the same size as my Z car key. But it still only fits about 2/3rds the way into the gas cap.

Dragonfly