HybridZ

Repair head gasket, mild rebuild, or monster build?

cygnusx1

Thinking out loud again fella's so bear with me... :-|

I dont expect an answer but this is a decision I need to make for myself. When I discovered that a gasket was leaking a few weeks ago, I thought it was the ex manifold gasket because it was puffing at the frequency of the piston firing. I pulled the intake and ex manifolds which only took me a little over an hour thanks to AN fittings and O-ring fuel rails. :wink:

I checked cleaned and reassembled with high temp sealant and went for a drive only to discover the puffing noise was still there. I had noticed a bit of oil from the drivers side of #5 at the head gasket. My engine is clean so it shows even a little bit of leakage. Now I suspect compression leak from the head gasket under load.

My goals were to gather and setup the entire car and fuel system and then rebuild the motor into a 400-500 HP bottom and top end in 2008-2009 Winter to spread out the cash load.

Well, I got the car entirely setup the way I want it with the MS-II, the large injectors, the Z32 trans, the CV shafts, suspension, big brakes, and was going to keep the car like this until the big rebuild. The motor has 120K miles on it but was running and still is running great. I know eventually with this new leak, I will be mixing fluids which is a no-no. So do I fix it or rebuild it early?

If I rebuild it now, I will not be able to swing the exotic build because I just bought the MS-II and Hoke's Z32 trans. If I wait until 2008-2009 I can build the monster L28ET. So do I rebuild it mild, or just fix the gasket and wait for 08-09 to do the big build?

Right now I am leaning towards a $30 simple head gasket swap in-car so I can continue to drive the car until the big build. :?:

i say just replace the head gasket and move on until the time is right to rebuild the motor the way you want it. Last thing you'd want is to start another motor project with funds pending. Replace the gasket, and don't lean towards the "while im at it" bug":mrgreen:

I was in the same boat a couple of years ago. Now I run 11's on a stock bottom end. You should install some arp studs "while you're at it" and use a meth injection kit. Maybe a bigger turbo "while you're at it" as it soooo easy to install at this point........lol.

I blew my head gasket the same way! Except mine was exactly under a runner and you could of sworn it was the exhaust manifold...

After I put it all back together I am getting terrible blow by on all the cylinders... there's like 2 things left to try but if mine's toast I'm saying bye bye L...

Maybe throw in a VG30DETT? ;)

Mario

Yeah I allotted 5 hours to do the intake and exhaust manifold gasket...it actually took me roughly 2.5 hours total to remove clean and reinstall. LOL Another plus for the L28's...Super easy to work on.

I am figuring that I can do the head gasket in under five. I might do the ARP studs this round along with the gasket instead of wasting money on new Nissan headbolts that will need replacing next winter at the rebuild. I also need to re-wrap the turbine with a blanket. I had one on there and removed it last week. What a huge difference in underhood temps! It's like a cast iron wood stove under there, cooking the brake lines and the intake manifold.

I'd do the HG and start the monster build with a different block. With the monster build I'd assume your going with a set of custom pistons, and maybe a stroker? What could be better than to have the monster being built on the engine stand while the car is still running? Obviously just my opinion.

Joe

Just do the HG!!!!!!

End of story.

Wait to do the MONSTER BUILD, that way cash isn't spent twice.....no need for a mild rebuild and the motor right now still pulls nice. Drive it the way it is until next summer.

OK I purchase a set of ARP head studs, and went gasket researching. Wow what a lot of banter on head gaskets!!!

1) HKS 1mm MLS no longer available anywhere.

2) HKS 2mm is too phat for my needs but is available at Courtesy N.

3) MSA has a head gasket for $30! Is that an el-cheapo or will it work?

4) Nismo 0.6mm is available from Courtesy for $150.

5) Import Performance Parts has something they call a "Copper Performance Gasket" as part of an L28ET engine kit.

6) There is a guy selling Copper head Gaskets on ebay.

What the heck? An MLS reuseable would be great so I can keep it for the monster build. Is the NISMO reuseable? if not, I am going with an El-Cheapo to get me through next Summer.