HybridZ

Fender mounted mirrors

Guest fireball111

Guest fireball111

Hi everyone this is my first post and i am a new 280z owner after finding out that you can put the RB motor in it, so here i am, BUT what i want to know is what mirrors do you need in order to mount them on the fenders?. I am trying to recreate a hybrid fairlady z/ skyline. It might be a dumb idea but i relly like the way the car looks and i herad i can make it handle like a dream so cheers

What year Z do you have? The mirrors you'll want to use will be different depending on the year of the Z. The ZX Fairlady had electric mirrors very similar to the ones on the doors with a different angle at the base. The Z Fairlady had non electric very basic mirrors and you'd be able to use some of the universal roadster mirrors you find on eBay. They look similar and should be easy enough to mount. I'm considering this one myself. Here's the mounting for the Z mirrors:

fendermirrorpositions-1.jpg

Guest fireball111

I have a 78 280z and my motor is on the way from japan, i'm going with the RB26DETT and my i say i can't wait to get it running:mrgreen:

Huh, last week I bought some fender mirrors from another user in Thailand. They looked to be in much better condition, though. The seller told me he could probably get me other JDM things as well, but I couldn't really think of anything else.

• 1 month later...

i ordered a set of the bullet II mirrors from thezstore.com; now i did order them with the intention of placing them on the fenders, would it be a problem with these style mirrors or would i just simply have to mount them a little further out since that do not have the tall stock on them as the originals do?

Here's the mounting for the Z mirrors:

fendermirrorpositions-1.jpg

Great diagram man! Any idea how the dimensions.. compare for a ZX?

I've got a pair of motorcycle mirrors that I'm wanting to fender mount. Its going to be a little difficult as they just have a single large stud with 2 nuts on it. I've seen some really cool black bullet style fender mirrors lately though so might change my mind if it proves too difficult to mount these ;)

I'm probably going to use some steel putty or something to form a mound that fits against the inside curve of the fender, and put a stud-sized metal tube through the middle of the mound. I think if I just used a large washer on each side of the fender's sheet metal it would probably bend under speed.

Peace, rx

The ZX is Different. I made a template off my Fairlady ZX for someone, but they never came to pick it up at a car show... I guess I could measure them again if you're interested.

BTW, the S30's DID have electric mirrors available starting Late 75 when the cars got EFI. The Fairlady Z-E got electric mirrors and electric windows as optional equipment. The mirrors may not have been so optional... You would have to check the original brochures. I have a '51' 2/2 Z-S model and it came with standard non-power mirrors. The Z-L would have had the Electric Windows and the Power Mirrors.

i wish i would have seen those sooner...i still like the lower profile bullets that i had already purchased...my question is if i will still be able to use the same dimmensions and use the full mirror with such a low profile mirror as the bullet II...would i need to push the dimensions out a bit? closer to the driver...etc.

Get a roll of masking tape and play around with placing your bullet mirrors on the fenders. Start with the diagram in this tread as a guide and then adjust location based on what works best for you from the driver's seat. Shouldn't be too difficult if you decide to stick with the bullet type.

• 3 months later...