HybridZ

1974 260Z track car. Ground Up.

man i just spent at least 3 hours reading this entire thread and am seriously thinking about selling both my z31s to build a v8 260/80z. it wouldn't be a track only car but you sir are an inspiration. i cant wait to see what this beast is going to look like when you are done:trippen:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will not be using the switch covers.. I just had them laying around. I don't believe switch covers would serve a purpose. And that's extra weight.

the On-Off-On switch will be for my blinkers. The rest are just On-Off's which will run to a relay panel. The switch panel will be able to be disconnected easily by use of molex connectors.

Well I'm not a math expert but I believe less weight = faster, so yeah we definitely don't want more weight. :D

That's why you should also put in speed holes. Think about it. ;)

Yeah I don't like covers either. I like solids. Cold hard steel etc., nothing rough, rubbery, sticky etc. That stuff just seems like a germ and dirt magnet to me. Like how there's always crap stuck to people's keys and in the cracks on their shift knob, nobody cleans that stuff. Maybe it's just me.

Keep up the good work though, it's gonna be legit with all the custom addons.

• 4 weeks later...

Parts fairy came today!

Okay, first up we have a F1 Racing flywheel by Gripforce.

oilpan003.jpg

The 6L V8 currently has a LS6 flywheel/clutch. I couldn't find any solid numbers, but from what I understand the LS6 flywheel is about 24lbs? So this F1 flywheel coming in at 15.5lbs should be a pretty decent gain. I'm thinking with some better tuning and this flywheel, the LQ9 should rev up and down pretty quick.

Anyone know any solid numbers on what the LS6 flywheel is, weight wise?

Next up, from the forum sponsor "Improved Racing" is the LS1 F-body aluminum oil pan baffle with trap doors. Thanks for the discount!

The last thing I would want is to starve the car for oil through the turns.

What's also great about this is that it should just bolt right up, no need to do any fabrication.

oilpan001.jpg

Here you can see the trap doors that allow oil in easily, but restrict it from sloshing out.

oilpan002.jpg

As for the chassis, I haven't done a lot since winter, and we're still experiencing freezing weather. WHEN WILL WINTER DIE.

Wow is that stack of square tubing a swaybar mount. Makes me think I need to go through mine from top to bottom to make sure I don't find any PO "fixes" like that. :eek:

Well it's a mount for the e-brake cable, but still not acceptable.

Man I just got on this thread nice work with your Z. If I had a garage an money I'd be all over my Z. How hard is it to learn the CF stuff? Again nice work. Reeeeeaaaaallll nice.

A lot of trial and error. Pretty simple really.

When you start building stuff, do it from fiberglass and start small. It's all about learning the process and having the equipment to do it. Carbon fiber is expensive, start by working with fiberglass.

I used a vacuum box on a compressor before I got an actual vacuum pump. When you start purchasing a lot of material and consumables the expenses go up pretty quickly.

Don't let that deter you though. You can also make a lot of neat stuff just by doing a wet lay up. Or by doing over lays. Or just by using a piece of glass and making something flat. Essentially your part will have the EXACT same surface as your mould, so it's very important to take the time to prep it before you start.

This guy in Jamaica built this whole body from carbon fiber, it looks like he's only doing wet lay-ups. The finish isn't show quality, but for pure BA factor, he's got a purely carbon body.. Pretty neat.

09.jpg?t=1228262344

qw2.jpg?t=1229117781