HybridZ

1974 260Z track car. Ground Up.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both on the list of things to do.

I just ordered a new cap and rotor, spark plugs, and wires.

Also, going to be installing an electric fan.

When I got the car, the pass side window crank regulator was missing, so I installed the one from my 260z, and also used the track.

There is a lot of rust on this Z, a lot of bondo also, but I want to drive it, not worry about that stuff, I can worry about that on the 260z.

• 3 months later...

I'm not dead, just been working A LOT, unfortunately not on the Z..

I also have to finish my basement, a project I started last winter. So I fabricate all day at work, 6 days a week. And now I really need to kick myself in the ass to get this basement finished.

I don't know what I'm going to do with the blue Z, I may fix the head gasket and sell it, or drive it in the summer.

You guys need to get some good progress to get my ambition going again!!

• 3 weeks later...

I laughed when early in the thread you said that you and your buddy wanted to drive it around and get that 'vintage feel', then it looked almost as if you began stripping it down the day that you offloaded it from the trailer. LOL I definitely have been there...just can't wait to jump right in!

I hope that you didn't buy your cage yet. Check out Chris Allston's Chassisworks. GREAT pricing, and with your welding skills, should be easy! Shipping is always an issue, especially due to your location.

Also, the price that you paid for blasting is the equivalent of PENNIES here [i.e. CHEAP]. Even JohnCs prices are pretty darn good for COMPETENT jobs, compared to SF Bay Area.

Last, was it Mikelly's post [?] about the order. I TOTALLY agree. Couldn't have put it more succinctly if I tried. 1,2,3,4,5... SAFETY.

Good luck and enjoy! It looks like you are starting off REALLY well. Oh, how was the interior tail light panel? If it wasn't cracked, and was black, PM me....

• 2 weeks later...

We actually had most of it stripped by the end of the 1st day.

If we would have kept up at the pace we were at, I'd be driving it now.

But, the 0 degree weather isn't for me. Also, I have some other projects inside I need to finish.

Perhaps I will buy a house with a big garage for a shop soon.

• 1 month later...

Anyone know where that thread is that went through changing a head gasket on a Z?

I know they said make sure the timing chain doesn't fall down, but I'd like to have the thread for reference.

Ohh yeah, weather is getting warmer, feel like workin.

I hear that! Tho my back yard is in some dire need of affection. Then there is the 1200 cooktop I just bought for my kitchen renovation. The waterpump in my girl's LD9 that I have to replace (its a total bitch of a job). Oh yea, not to forget the 350 I need to replace in my beast of a daily driver as well... On top of all that I still have yet to buy the mounts or the driveshaft for the conversion! BAH!

Anyone know where that thread is that went through changing a head gasket on a Z?

I know they said make sure the timing chain doesn't fall down, but I'd like to have the thread for reference.

Go to http://carfiche.com/manuals023/cars/ and download the applicable factory service manual - that will tell you in excruciating detail the correct way to do it:wc:, and what parts (if any) are not reusable etc. :cool:

(If your manual is not available, just refresh in an hour and check again. )

Well atleast the next guy will have a nice running engine! Are you going to drive it for a while this summer before letting it go? How rusty is it?

I know I'm ready for these shitty roads to clear so I can get my car out!

Guy

• 4 weeks later...

I can't find the vacuum port where the vacuum advance connects for the distributor, can anyone help me?

Sorry for the delay in response, I drove my subaru to work today so I couldn't just look, and for some reason I couldn't RDP into my home computer and therefore couldn't refer to the Factory Service Manual.

On the bottom of the Throttle body there is a vacuum port. There is a short hose coming off of that going to a T connector, one of the sides goes to the evap. system, and one side goes to the dist. spark advance.

Download the 280z Factory Service manual from carfiche.com and go to page ET-2. In the piping diagram the T connector in question is item 12.

This is the most progress I've done on this Z in like 4 months.. lol, even though it only took me 25 minutes. Yawn.

This Clarke MIG welder isn't all that bad for sheet metal. I'm using C25 gas, (75% Argon/25%CO2). Using the right gas is important.

5508003fq4.jpg

Vertical down welds.

5508001fx1.jpg

Pretty decent looking fillet weld. Nice and flat.

5508002ni1.jpg