HybridZ

Lifting an Inside Front Wheel

................. The last set of springs were 375F and 300R.

Interesting, when building the 280ZX and after discussions with the custom suspension builder, I settled on 400F, 300R. Thats wheel rate, car does not have the original type rear suspension. Subsequent circuit driving experience has confirmed that choice.

So, to keep on topic, with that sort of setup and with no rear ARB and a helical/torsen LSD, we should end up with a car down a bit on mid corner speed but up in the corner entry and exit areas?

I have found that the OEM rear suspension setup to be the weakness in my car.(79 ZX) I am curious as to what changes have been made to help improve high speed cornering. 260DET What changes have you made to your Zx? I have so far went with a mild set-up. (Tokico Hp's w/ springs. all poly bushings) I notice at high spped my car gets really squirrely and I have to back out ot the gas and really "ride" not drive it out. This happens long before my tires want to give up the grip fight. My tires are cheapo street tires.

Jason

Re the 280ZX, its a mystery to me why there is basically no rear suspension mod info around at all. Semi trailing arm suspension, info on the 510 and the relevant BMW's, yes. And it can be made to work very well, regulars here will be sick of this video :)

johnc may be able to fix you up with parts and advice though, I can't, my suspension is not OE semi trailing arm.

Re the 280ZX, its a mystery to me why there is basically no rear suspension mod info around at all. Semi trailing arm suspension, info on the 510 and the relevant BMW's, yes. And it can be made to work very well, regulars here will be sick of this video :)

johnc may be able to fix you up with parts and advice though, I can't, my suspension is not OE semi trailing arm.

The 510 is basically the same damn thing, only the ZX has coilover springs. Aluminum subframe bushings, slotted crossmember, and a good alignment gets you pretty much there. Add some springs and shocks and a good rear bar and that's pretty much it, unless you get into swapping another suspension system into it like 260DET did.

Yeah, sick of that video. Find a Porsche video or something. There are plenty of fast semi-trailing arm cars out there. The trick is to get the suspension to move as little as possible... :wink:

Thanks alot guys, I appreciate the info. I'm just getting my feet wet here. I was initially under the impression that Tokico HP and some poly bushings would fix all the woes...LOL. It's the dabblers lot in life to never leave well enough alone I guess. I'll look into some of the 510 set ups and go from there,Thanks again.

Jason

Thanks alot guys, I appreciate the info. I'm just getting my feet wet here. I was initially under the impression that Tokico HP and some poly bushings would fix all the woes...LOL. It's the dabblers lot in life to never leave well enough alone I guess. I'll look into some of the 510 set ups and go from there,Thanks again.

Jason

Bring it back to something like it was new, unless its a serious track car no mods needed. You have to understand that this is a S30 centric forum, to give credit the S30 suspension ages a lot better than the S130's.

Check the yellow 280ZX out in this video @ six minutes on, camera car has about three times the power, 280ZX goes good on stock spec suspension, I was down at the drop down left hander after the bridge observing