HybridZ

Apparently.. there is a Ferrari V12 in a Z here in Colorado

proxlamus©

I work at Home Depot while im in school.. and my manager happens to own a 240z thats fairly modded so we talk all day..

anyway.. my boss ran into a purple 240z with a Ferrari 512 V12 powerplant off chambers and quincy road.

I've yet to see a Z with a Ferrari motor.. but OMG The guy owned a Ferrari 512.. and his wife wrecked it. He was able to salvage the motor and decided a Z was the most interesting car to put it in.

I cant write worth poop.. but holy crap.. i had to share

How long has that V12 been in the Z? I used to live near Iliff and Chambers and passed a pretty nasty sounding purple Z near Smoky Hill(?) I tried to flip an U-ie and catch him, but couldn't find him. This would have to have been in 200-01, before I moved to Iowa. LOL, now I am even more pissed! I suppose there could be more than one purple Z there, but I did not really see too many and I lived there almost 10 years.

I work at Home Depot while im in school.. and my manager happens to own a 240z thats fairly modded so we talk all day..

anyway.. my boss ran into a purple 240z with a Ferrari 512 V12 powerplant off chambers and quincy road.

I've yet to see a Z with a Ferrari motor.. but OMG The guy owned a Ferrari 512.. and his wife wrecked it. He was able to salvage the motor and decided a Z was the most interesting car to put it in.

I cant write worth poop.. but holy crap.. i had to share

BS flag on the 512 engine. A 512 is a horizontally opposed 12. This won't fit into a Z Car. Barely fits in the 512.

Alan

DR Sideways is right - a 512 Ferrari engine is a 5 litre "boxer" or flat 12 cylinder engine that is found in the 512BB and late model Testarossa/512TR mid engine cars.

It would be almost impossible to fit that engine in a Z car. If it's an old V12 engine from a different car it would fit. When I started to build my replica years ago, Joe Alphabet referred me to a guy that had a Ferrari V12 in his Alpha 1 GTO. Unfortunately I have since lost is contact information as I would love to see the car today.

LOL trust me I have been talking to my manager like crazy trying to find out more information

DRsideways good call on the flat configuration!

My manager mentioned it was a V12 layout.. so he probably mixed up the name of the Ferrari or the owner paid alot of money to get it done and didnt know what he was talking about

Either way I am a bit skeptical.. but if you are on this board show us pictures!! I want to see this!!!

Ferrari called his car a 512BB (Berlinetta Boxer) for its 5 litre, 12 cylinder horizontally opposed (flat) engine. An engineer would say it is really not a “Boxer†engine but a 180 degree V because two rods share a crankshaft journal but you miss the point.

If you have ever seen a Ferrari 12 cylinder “Boxer†engine you will note that it is extremely wide. To fit that engine in the front of a Z car would require a significant widening of the engine compartment and probably the front suspension as well.

On the other hand a 60 degree Colombo dry sump V12 Ferrari engine would probably fit quite nicely. I would love to try and put one in my car some day.

Nope, didn't miss the point. Your photo already showed that the engine is wide. If you already had the engine and were willing to build a front end around the engine I'd bet you could make it work.

The engine makes a wonderful noise, especially as it winds out.

I was actually looking at a 180 degree ferrari motor the other day. Quite wide for sure. But I couldn't help but think "gee.... that MIGHT fit in a Z32 with it's wide engine bay"

How'd I come across it? An old friend of mine runs a ferrari shop, and I was just catching up. He's not doing much car work these days, so he just a couple of cars of friends he's working on.

veritech-z It’s tough to tell but judging from the firewall and the rest of the engine compartment that is an actual Ferrari. It is probably a 250 or 330GTE which were often converted into a GTO. There are actually quite a few of them around and most are difficult to tell from the real thing.

That's because they are aluminum and made from the original Ferrari molds (bucks) that Ferrari provided to England's Maranello Concessionaires. You see, the Maranello Concessionaires racing team raced the GTO's and needed a way to quickly repair them if they got wrinkled in a race. Ferrari provided them with a set of bucks they could use to hammer out new body panels when needed.

Many years later these bucks were used to make panels so you could convert a real Ferrari to look like a GTO. As covered by Road & Track magazine, it's a long and fascinating story. Ferrari tried to stop them like they did in the US to kit car manufactures. However, this time they failed. Basically the court ruled that Ferrari failed to stipulate the "use" of the molds when they were provided to Maranello Concessionaires so they can not do so now. The story continues but in the end the guy who owned the bucks and the bucks themselves have disappeared off the face of the earth.