HybridZ

polished some 6-spoke wheels today

6_spokes_1.jpg

6_spokes_11.jpg

6_spokes_2.jpg

6_spokes_3.jpg

6_spokes_4.jpg

6_spokes_5.jpg

Overall Im happy how this set came out.. I tried some new tricks that worked really well. Before buffing I let the wheels sit in the sun for an hour to get them hot. (barely able to hold them hot) this really helped the buffing rouge disolve all the scratches etc.

Is there some AFFORDABLE and do-it-yorself method of clearcoating the wheels to prevent necessary upkeep ? Does any one know?

thanks in advance and enjoy the pics,

Igor

i saw zoops seal products on horsepower tv once, and I remember someone from the 4runner forums who had tried it on his 20inch wheels, and they looked as if they were never coated at all.

http://www.zoops.com/product-listing.asp?ID=15

http://www.caswellcanada.ca/store/owProductDetail.asp?idProduct=29416&bSelectOption=T

http://performanceunlimited.com/cobravalley_chemicals/zoopseal.html

Be careful though, it's like a resin, and any runs will stay as runs.

BTW, what method of polishing did you use? I want to polish my surge tank =)

Check this eastwood product out. I haven't used it but will try it for sure.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=415&itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=415

Beautiful job by the way,

Dayz

Check out the customer reviews, first:

Eastwood Diamond Clear Metal Aerosol 11 oz

spacer01.gif

"I used this product on some polished C.R.steel decorator items in a home I'm working on. It's easy to apply and gives a great finish." - Bruce Raymond, Rochester, MI

spacer01.gif

rule01.gif

spacer01.gif

spacer01.gif

"i used this stuff one time and it was the last time,freshly polished peices look beautiful,after applying this it gave the parts a silver look...", ID

spacer01.gif

rule01.gif

spacer01.gif

spacer01.gif

"I had a beautiful set of professionally polished Borrani rims for a motorcycle. I sprayed this stuff on according to directions. It left a kind of satin dullness to the finish that I was not happy with at all. I thought maybe a second coat would do it, but it only made it harder to get off. I polished it off using laquer thinner, and then polished the aluminum with NevRDull. They look beautiful again. I will just have to get used to polishing these wheels periodically to keep the finish I want" - Charles Cast, Edgewater, FL

I always thought they were the best looking "factory" wheel. I had a set on my 510 with race tires, but they sure look sweet when polished. I'd go with a clear power coat. It's the toughest and will last the longest, although a bit spendy, I'm sure. Get them on the car and put up some pics! :)

LoL you make me feelbad after 10 plus hoursi n the sun 2.5 hours per wheel starting at 800 wet grit sant paper and working my way up from 800- 1000-1200-1500-2000 washing them off every time. Giving them a final wash off drying them off then hiting them with mothers alumanum mag polish i think my 280zx turbo wheels came out awsome ! But the down side is every 2 months takes a little 2000 wet grit to bring them to polish again. I tried high temp clear coat on one rim i had siting around and it still looks great ! down side is if i saw any inperfections i was doomed ! lol

260ZRed: Any assistance would be great!

Okay, I see the difference that sand paper makes. I had to remove the paint, then Bead blasted the entire rim awhile back.

So tonight I used 220, 400, 600, then 1000 in a certain section. Came out almost as nice as yours did above and I used Mothers Mag & Aluminum polish. I also picked up some Blue Magic metal polishing cream and it sucked in comparsion to the Mothers.

My experience is the sanding is what really brings out the shine. I took like 3 light applications of the mothers to get the shine out. With the area that I bead blasted I counted up to 10 tries and it still didn't even show a reflection.

How did you sand it?

All by hand?

No electric sanders? If so which one?

How did you get the cracks?

Did you use tape at all to do sections at a time so you could really focus on one area?

Thanks