HybridZ

First body panel patch job ever

Some-Guy

I smashed off a chunk of bondo and found this hole on saturday.We were wheelin and I landed on a big ass rock and smashed the step so I just pulled them off. They probly can be repaired but I didnt like em anyways. So I ground it out and formed this piece of sheet metal and started to weld it in only to find my stick welder was WAYY to hot for this. Ill be finishing the welding job at work tomorow with one of our migs. Hows it look so far? keep mind this is the first time I have ever tried anything like this.

S6001921Large.jpg

S6001943Large.jpg

I was having a real bad problem with blowing through. Iam not worried about warping it at all since its already horribly warped and there was about an 8th of bondo on there anyway. Iam going to bondo it up and try and match the original shape as best I can.

During the week Ill be starting on the other side since it has abit of rust bubbling coming in also.

This job should require less than an 1/8th of bondo Iam thinkin anyway considering I bent the piece of the edge of my bench with a hammer its pretty damn straight. I need to borrow some ones mig welder to finish since my work said I can not weld in the shop its an explosion hazard (my ass).

it may seem counter-intuitive, but try turning the heat up to help with the blow-through problem. The weld puddle will form very quickly with a smaller area. I have had good results with this approach.

Sam

Also, looking closely at the picture, it looks like you are getting most of the blow though where the metal is pitted. You might need to cut farther back.

Guest TeamNissan

Ya but just lower the power and stitch it. If you just tac real quick back and forth at dif points for long enough you can use even the cheapest of welder. I have been doing all of my work lately with a mig 100 the cheapest welder I have ever touched lol, its horrid but it works.

If you scroll down in my pics you will see what I am talking about.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=123172

AHHH Ok I think I can do this Iam going to grind it all off tomorrow and start again I just need to get some smaller rods this 1/8 crap is too huge and at 70 amps I cant even lay a 1/4" bead. the flux goes every where like its a decent bead but then when I chip it off she looks like utter hell!

Anyone live close to me that wants to lend me the use of their mig for a while????

Great job man! I rarely post either. The more you practice the better you will get. It seems like you are picking up things quickly. Take it one patch at a time and make small goals. That helps me when I start working on my project. When you are done the wheel wells you will be well practiced to make excellent work out of more visible bodywork. This is all possible with a stick welder. Use some small rods. I think the 7014 rods you are using are the easiest to start an arc with but the downside is they also have high penetration so this is prolly why you are burning through. I could be wrong though. Look at the site:http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/index.php? those guys will have lots of help to offer you if you need it. Good luck!