HybridZ

Wheels and Car Primer Color

280Zone

In an effort to avoid a thread jack of the "Post your wheels" thread.

I posted some pictures of my car to show the wheels and had questions about the paint (primer) color of my car.

Here is the car;

pic9.jpg

pic8.jpg

The car has been painted with a catalyzed primer, which is a bit different than your regular primer when mixed and applied. The car was shot with two coats of a heavier consistency and a top coat thinned down for a smoother finish.

This was a second attempt at this type of finish. After research I was told by the old school guys to use PPG DP90. It looked great but quickly turned gray so I started over. So far I am very happy with the new method, but the car does spend most of its time in the garage. It does scratch easily but can be washed and gently "handled" with no problems.

The question was also asked about the lack of the windshield trim. The trim is out due to still needing a new windshield, so it will be going back in. In the mean time I have powder coated all of the side window trim in black so the only chrome/stainless that will be on the car if/when it gets done, will be the windshield and hatch glass trim, door handles and the two pillar emblems.

I am just a bit disappointed I don't have my custom hood on in these pictures.

If there are any other questions feel free to fire away

hey man thanks for that.. unfortunately my car is a daily driver driven everywhere so yer... my dad actually saw a new harley davidson with the matte paint surely there has 2 be a way to make it unscratchable maybe a satin/mat clear coat??

ben

The Harley Matte black paint is an actually paint, not a primer. It appears similar to primer, but being a paint it actually seals water out completely. You should be able to find some matte black at NAPA. Just make sure they're aware you don't want a primer, but an actual paint.

An other trick we used on a friend's car, came straight from the "show car" guys.

It's a clear coat but, it's satin/flat in appearance once dry so, you can use whatever primer you think works best for you (we just went with cheap duplicolor black primer, since it was a temporary job) and then seal it with the satin clear, the effect is total old school but, is protected from the sun and its U.Vs. and doesn't scratch like bare primer...

On an other note, if you powdercoated all the side window trim, you should do the same for the front and rear glass trims, it would look just plain sinister in all black...

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest TeamNissan

I used john deer blitz black. 100$ a gal, u/v resistant and it seals, usually used on farm equipment so I'd say is damn durable. Kind of a pain to use though. Have to use their thinner and their primer, which is bright yellow. Also there is a 72 hour wait time from prime to paint. Never the less I don't think any regular paint combo can beat it.

l_f5e8dcb9341cbfbc414c845479466298.jpg

On a side note they make a flat clear, dealers use it for plastic trim. Its very expensive and hard to find in gallons.

Guest TeamNissan

They sell it as flat black but I think by the way I laid it, its more a flat/satin. Thats why it seems to reflect greyish. In person its black, idk the flash adds to it I think.

• 1 year later...