HybridZ

found tons of rust while Blasting

Hi guys

It has been a while since i post anything relevant on hbz. for the most part of the summer i have took on the project of replacing my floors. You don’t really notice how big of a job this is until you actually do it. Especially if your work on the weekdays and can only get stuff done on the weekends. I did all the cutting, welding, patch panels myself and i can honestly say body work isn’t for me. Atleast not a huge project like replacing floorpans. I finally got the floors in and decided to get the engine bay sandblasted to check for any hidden rust and to repaint.

[NOTE: i am a idiot for not doing this first and i learned the hard way] here is what i found.

4q4c6rs.jpg

4kv9l6h.jpg

6gb69gz.jpg

This part is rust on both sides.

5xxcpeh.jpg

6aez1nm.jpg

67nnwog.jpg

5239rt4.jpg

4papc8o.jpg

Whoever did the patchwork before just covered the rust with very thin gauge metal and sprayed a ton of undercoat on to hide the mess. Where every you see a patch there is hidden rust under it. There is prolly more hiding under the undercoat, I couldn’t scrap it all off because i had to go home to mow the lawn ( :-/). Some of the areas where the rust are is very hard to get at and seem to be a critical part of the structure of the car. and now i am thinking i should try and find a shell even thou i got the floors about 90% in (sealer and close some drill holes i missed).

What is you guys opinion, should i continue or try and find a new shell before i get past the point of no return.

Yeah. I try to ignore rust. I don't have the wherewithall to chase it around anymore. When mine rusts again, I plan on having my piggybank full enough to just go buy one that is already finished.

Yours definitely looks fixable with a lot of drive and passion. I hope you have the strength to continue or the wallet to go look in the sunbelt for another car. It is a typical example of the Z cars that are available here in the Northeast. What a shame.

You have a welder and if you are not in love with the car, patch it up roughly, build it up as a beater/driver with as little cash as you can, and use it as a fun car. Don't put all the fancy flashy parts on it. Re-use the parts you have making it safe with new bushings, joints, good stock brakes, and drive it until you can afford to move on to a better one. Just because a car is ugly or rough does not make it any less fun to beat on.

Good stock brakes,kyb shocks, tokico springs, decent tires, 1 seat, 1 harness you have a worry free track car.

I recently replaced the entire passenger side inner fender and frame rail on my Z. Not that hard to do. First level out the car on jackstands. Then drill out the spot welds. Line the replacement panel in. Secure it with sheet metal screws. Check the levels. Test fit body panels to ensure everything lines up. Remove panels. Weld in the panel thru the spots where you drilled out the spot welds. Time consuming but if it is an actual 240 worth it. 280z's are alot easier to come across. If you already did the floors why stop. Keep going.

you guys to have good points. Looks like i have alot of cutting to do this weekend. Its actually a 260z the forgotten z at i refer to it as. I took the last 2 weekends off just to clear my head and body of metal and sand. I had nightmares of falling off rust chasing me; i woke up right before it caught me (lol).

I think i will just do what cygnusx1 said, fix the spots and use it as a beater. I mean i still have this turbo motor waiting patiently to be stuck in the engine bay.

Just do not make deadlines and cont working on it. Yes, as a beater! I know where you are working on this car, so I understand first hand. We can just patch the car up, prime it, turbo swap and you can use as a beater/learner. When you are ready and get the big job out of school....."rsut free" shell and just throw the turbo swap in that one!

PS can I borrow your wheels, bumpers and such....joking!! I will keep my eyes open for you.

• 1 month later...

if you find yourself ever discouraged just go take a look at "mull" he'll have you thinkin your car is a gold mine an he shows off the ability at wat hell a z can end up in an also how it can be fixed "the right way" mistakes along the way of course but like everyone else has said already its worth the experience... at least i keep remindin myself of that lol

Save all of the pieces you cut out. Even sweep up all of the rust and dirt as it falls on the floor as you go. When you are all done with the car, weigh the savings. We will see who has the bragging rights for the POS saved!.

Keep going, it's worth the experience.

im up-to about 25 lbs in bondo dust and paint chippings.

• 3 weeks later...